DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi guys!
PostPosted: December 4th, 2017, 12:16 pm 

I was just given a pointer to this group by Bryan Ricapito from the Facebook group... I technically live in Sterling but spend most of my time in MD as I work in Beltsville and it's way more convenient for me to just stay at my girlfriend's place in Rockville during the week.

I currently have a small pile of vintage receivers that I am trying to resurrect - some of which I may need some help on.

H.H. Scott 340B - fried power switch and blows fuses. I fixed the power switch and ordered a whole mess of capacitors about a year ago, this was supposed to be my over Christmas break project but unfortunately Hayseed Hamfest didn't get my multi-section cans done in time, and that is I'm pretty sure the reason for the short. Someday I will have free time.

Pilot 654 with matching MPX unit - this one works, but it's got a bit of a hum and the tuner doesn't work worth a crap. I have neither the knowledge nor the tools to deal with a tuner, so any recommendations would be welcome here.

Fisher X-101-B - UGLY. sitting on shelf. May deal with it someday.

Yamaha R-700 - picked this up off Craigslist for next to nothing. Unfortunately both the FM tuner and the phono stage have issues. I may try to fix the phono stage myself before having someone deal with the tuner.

Marantz 4270 - this has been a tag team between myself and a local tech. I rebuilt the BTL phase inverter board, Deox'd it and relamped; the tech found a fault in the preamp that was killing one of the rear channels and is currently rebuilding the MPX and aligning it.

Kenwood KR-9940 - bought cheap at thrift store, burned power switch, dropped two channels shortly after acquiring. Dropped it off with a local guy like a year ago. I don't think he really wants to work on it so I should get it back someday.

Anyway, that's what I'm working on, or more correctly, saying I'm going to work on someday when I have free time, but if there's anyone in the Rockville area that could kick my ass some Saturday and hold my hand that may be helpful.

Post subject: Re: Hi guys!
PostPosted: December 4th, 2017, 1:43 pm 

welcome to the club.
you will have fun here, lots of projects of all kinds going on
Ive been rebuilding Quad 57's lately, on my 3rd pair, and one pair waiting in the wings for a major rebuild