DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ohighway is on board.
PostPosted: July 31st, 2013, 4:31 pm 

All,

Stopped at the Capital AudioFest this weekend. Saw some nice equipment there but the biggest pleasure came from the presence of the DC-DIY group. Good stuff....so , I figured I'd hop on board!

I'm new to DIY but not to audio. THAT bug bit me back in the late 60's, but vintage audio didn't sink it's teeth in until the mid 90's. Collecting and enjoying has overshadowed DIY, but I have done some minor repair, and am really anxious to get deeper into repair, and to start building!! I'm located over in Howard County Md. , just a bit West of Ellicott City.

Roscoe.... your name sounds VERY familiar to me. If you're the person I'm thinking of, I bought a 'pair' (one factory, one home built) of Regency speaker enclosures from you somewhere between 12-15 years ago. I also remember hearing a big pair of ProAc speakers and seeing a vintage Sherwood tuner with the cool 6BR5 tunining eye. Was that you and your stuff??

Look forward to talking with you all....

Rick

Last edited by Ohighway on July 31st, 2013, 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2013, 5:53 pm 
Site Admin

Ohighway wrote:
Roscoe.... your name sounds VERY familiar to me. If you're the person I'm thinking of, I bought a 'pair' (one factory, one home built) of Regency speaker enclosures from you somewhere between 12-15 years ago. I also remember hearing a big pair of ProAc speakers and seeing a vintage Sherwood tuner with the cool 6BR5 tunining eye. Was that you and your stuff??

:text-welcomeconfetti: aboard Rick. No, that wasn't me....

Roscoe

PostPosted: August 1st, 2013, 12:03 pm 

Welcome to the Stew, Ohighway! I'm in Highland in HoCo, so we're close!
I hope to get a project or two done, but I have so many of various flavors that it's hard to choose. See you at the next meet so we can exchange ideas!

PostPosted: August 1st, 2013, 1:08 pm 

Guy wrote:
Welcome to the Stew, Ohighway! I'm in Highland in HoCo, so we're close!
I hope to get a project or two done, but I have so many of various flavors that it's hard to choose. See you at the next meet so we can exchange ideas!

Highland.....? Rt. 108 @ Rt. 216 ?? If so you are pretty close. I'm near Rt. 32 @ Rt. 144.

I hear you about those choices! I've got too much stuff pulling me too many different directions.

When/where are the meetings?

PostPosted: August 1st, 2013, 3:25 pm 

Check with Roscoe, or the Events section of this bulliten board. We have meetings when someone is charitable enough to host one at their house. Unfortunately, we've come to rely on a few members that repeatedly host meetings. I'm guilty of not hosting, but my set-up in my unfinished basement keeps me reluctant.

Sometimes a small handful of people (3-4) meet to audition a set-up, and that's pretty ahndy. Maybe I should do that to check my basement set-up?

PostPosted: August 1st, 2013, 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

Guy wrote:
Check with Roscoe, or the Events section of this bulliten board. We have meetings when someone is charitable enough to host one at their house. Unfortunately, we've come to rely on a few members that repeatedly host meetings. I'm guilty of not hosting, but my set-up in my unfinished basement keeps me reluctant.

Any loose group like this is going to have a very few very active members, a bunch that are fairly active, and some you almost never see, it's just human nature. Don't be reluctant to host, it doesn't take much of a setup to pull a meeting off. I usually only have 3-5 people show up at my place just because no one wants to drive that far, but my room will only seat three anyway...

Guy wrote:
Sometimes a small handful of people (3-4) meet to audition a set-up, and that's pretty ahndy. Maybe I should do that to check my basement set-up?

Make it so :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Roscoe

PostPosted: August 1st, 2013, 3:52 pm 

Roscoe Primrose wrote:
Guy wrote:

Any loose group like this is going to have a very few very active members, a bunch that are fairly active, and some you almost never see, it's just human nature. Don't be reluctant to host, it doesn't take much of a setup to pull a meeting off. I usually only have 3-5 people show up at my place just because no one wants to drive that far, but my room will only seat three anyway...

Guy wrote:

Make it so :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Roscoe

Yea, I agree. I actually like the smaller meets (3-5 people). I have had a couple of those at my place. Once you get 10 people are so over, you cant hear music over the talking and the beer slurping!

PostPosted: August 1st, 2013, 4:33 pm 

Guy wrote:

Sometimes a small handful of people (3-4) meet to audition a set-up, and that's pretty handy. Maybe I should do that to check my basement set-up?

Every year I host a fall get together through Audiokarma ...... this fall will be the third. I've noticed with that group the activity seems to center more around beer, food, BS, and buy/sell/trade activities. Also because of the larger number of people it quickly tends to split off into several smaller groups.

Anyway, I'd be more than happy to host a meeting for the dcaudiodiy group. Zip code 21794 ...... ~20 miles West of Baltimore off I-70. It will have to be this fall .... maybe Sept.... Oct, .... Nov. A small group would definitely lend itself to more listening and such......