DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 29th, 2013, 10:46 pm 

Hi,
I heard of this organization at the Capital area show this past weekend.

As a student I built all kinds of audio electronics. Now, 30 years later, I restarted my old hobby. I am working on a good set of speakers. Then I want to build a KT88 based tube amp. Lots of ambition. Not too much time or money. Tell me I came to the right place.... :D

Thanks....Mathew

PostPosted: July 31st, 2013, 10:54 am 

Welcome! This is the right place.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2013, 11:49 am 

Hi, Matthew, good to meet you!
I'm also fiscally challenged, and club members help me decide where to concentrate my available cash where it will make the biggest difference in my system. At club meetings I sometimes get to hear comparisons of changes so I get an idea of the cost of a change and the resulting sound from that change. It helps me maximize what I can achieve with my budget.

I tell you, some of these people have understanding spouses! ;)

PostPosted: July 31st, 2013, 7:52 pm 

Thanks Guy and TubeDriver to make me feel welcome! I do look forward to the interaction and to meet other DIYselfers on line and at meetings. I will post some pics of my speakers when they are done.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2013, 9:47 am 

Matthew2623,

Maybe you can post some pictures of your progress as you build your speakers? You can start a thread in the Projects section and tell us what you're trying to do, why you did things certain ways, and especially any mistakes and/or lessons learned along the way. I really love picking up pointers in any area of construction that may save me from repeating another's mistake - one reason for the club!

I think I posted my project of 'building' a turntable (more like assembling two major components from suppliers and building a motor to drive it.) If not, I'll work to post it to this site. My point is that I talked about mounting the plinth on three cones, and then found that it unstable as all get out: I moved two of the three cones and it's much more stable. If I had posted my first plan someone in the club may have steered me in a different direction. Since I didn't ask, I (hopefully) posted my oops and how I fixed in the hope that it may save someone from doing the same thing.

Again, please take some pictures and type some brief notes about what you're doing with your speakers! I know more than I are interested, and maybe there are ideas out there!