DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 28th, 2013, 6:25 pm 

i just got back from the audio fest and loved your display room. i had not heard of dcaudiodiy before.

i have been pursuing audio for about the last 2 years, though i've always had some kind of stereo.

i've made the journey from modern to vintage SS to tube and now single-ended tubes. for speakers i've tried a lot and have made it to open baffles, which probably sound the best of my speakers.

i am not very handy and am not an engineer, so i am diy-challenged. that said, i have been making my own speaker cables from the walmart extension cords and have just started making interconnects. i am learning how to solder and have a multimeter and and ESR meter as well. my 1st effort to recap speakers (some old EV 4s) has not been a success, but hopefully i will figure out what i did wrong.

i have purchased a fair amount of diy gear from the AK barter site and on ebay.

i look forward to learning from you all and hopefully attending an upcoming meeting!

i am active on audiokarma using the same name

PostPosted: July 28th, 2013, 7:52 pm 

Welcome! Glad you enjoyed the show. If you have questions, there is probably someone here who can help out.

PostPosted: July 28th, 2013, 9:16 pm 

My experience with recappinig speaker crossovers is that you have to measure the components you are replacing, AND you have to pay attention to ESR in some applications.
Tolerances on electrolytic capacitors tend to be VERY asymmetrical, on the high side. So, just because the schematic says 10uF, and the cap is marked 10uF, don't believe it...... you may need 11.5 uF in that position.

[quote="rogerfederer"]i just got back from the audio fest and loved your display room. i had not heard of dcaudiodiy before.

i have been pursuing audio for about the last 2 years, though i've always had some kind of stereo.

i've made the journey from modern to vintage SS to tube and now single-ended tubes. for speakers i've tried a lot and have made it to open baffles, which probably sound the best of my speakers.

i am not very handy and am not an engineer, so i am diy-challenged. that said, i have been making my own speaker cables from the walmart extension cords and have just started making interconnects. i am learning how to solder and have a multimeter and and ESR meter as well. my 1st effort to recap speakers (some old EV 4s) has not been a success, but hopefully i will figure out what i did wrong.

i have purchased a fair amount of diy gear from the AK barter site and on ebay.

i look forward to learning from you all and hopefully attending an upcoming meeting!

i am active on audiokarma using the same name[/quote]

PostPosted: July 29th, 2013, 11:24 am 

Good to meet you, rogerfederer!
Maybe you'll get some hints and further practice on soldering. You'll pick it up pretty quick. Hopefully a meet with some of the other members will help you along.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2013, 11:29 pm 

that sounds great!

thanks for the welcome