DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Greetings
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2016, 5:24 am 

Hi everyone. My name is Everett. I'm completely new to DIY audio but have learned a lot in the past couple of years changing things in my system. I met several DIYers this year at CAF and am now happy to join the forum!

My stereo consists of Altec components (802-8G loaded in32 horns, 414A woofers, XO @ 800 Hz) in petite onken cabinets. I'm driving these with 6v6 monoblocks... a pair of radiocraftsmen RC-2s. Unfortunately I need to downsize, so the system will change again soon...

Looking forward to being a part of the forum!!

Post subject: Re: Greetings
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2016, 8:20 am 

Welcome Everett!

Plenty of ideas and opinions to be found here. Happy to have you as part of our group.

Stuart

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2016, 8:45 am 
Site Admin

Welcome.

That's going to be a hard system to downsize from....

Roscoe

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2016, 8:55 am 

Roscoe, you downsized from it. Those are the very Onkens I got from you!! :mrgreen:

Damn, I almost want them back. Everett, don't tempt me man!

I'd suggest keeping the drivers and horns and get yourself a smaller cabinet (like the old cabs I got from you, hehe).

Very difficult to beat those parts, as I lectured you when I was trying to sell ya the stuff.

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2016, 10:07 am 
Site Admin

J-ROB wrote:
Roscoe, you downsized from it. Those are the very Onkens I got from you!! :mrgreen:

I never did much with the Onkens, never actually had my 414s in them, and I've never had 32s running at the house. So yeah, I COULD have had a similar system running, but I never did ;)

One might find a slightly smaller way to use the same drivers here: http://jelabs.blogspot.com/2014/01/alte ... redux.html which is something I may try soon, if I get my second 414 back ;)

Roscoe

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2016, 10:46 am 

Yeah, yeah...coulda, woulda, shoulda...ok, yeah sure...

You missed out, Bro, because that was a pretty good set up.

After I sold that rig to Everett, I immediately bought another pr of 414s. I need to do a smaller cab also, maybe even one with paint instead of raw ply.

As for your other 414, I am torn whether to give it back or present it to Mr. Esmilla in recognition of his good work with the JE Labs blog when he gets back to MD.

I have an extra 414Z if you ever really need it, plus yours which I can repair in 8 seconds.

Thought you were more of an 18" guy though.

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2016, 12:59 pm 

Welcome to the forum Everett!

J-ROB wrote:
As for your other 414, I am torn whether to give it back or present it to Mr. Esmilla in recognition of his good work with the JE Labs blog when he gets back to MD.

I have an extra 414Z if you ever really need it, plus yours which I can repair in 8 seconds.

Always on the lookout for Altec 414s, especially 16 ohm/Alnicos, donations are most welcome :D

Waiting for a friend here in Orange County. We'll drive out to Jammin' Jersey...he's gathering Altec 32s, EH800s and EH500s to bring home to our friends in Manila.

Will be back in MD next week!

JE

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2016, 1:04 pm 

YOU RASCAL...YOU killed the market on 414s and 32s!! :angry-cussingblack:

Don't expect any gifts from us, buddy!

And watch out where you park your car!!

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2016, 3:29 pm 

Welcome. Downsizing is a good thing but not when applied to your stereo system!

Get rid of the extra car, those extra bikes, clean out the wardrobe, trade in for a smaller house, maybe get rid of the wife but a decent 2-way horn system works in all rooms (small to large)! :obscene-drinkingcheers:

eseay212 wrote:
Hi everyone. My name is Everett. I'm completely new to DIY audio but have learned a lot in the past couple of years changing things in my system. I met several DIYers this year at CAF and am now happy to join the forum!

My stereo consists of Altec components (802-8G loaded in32 horns, 414A woofers, XO @ 800 Hz) in petite onken cabinets. I'm driving these with 6v6 monoblocks... a pair of radiocraftsmen RC-2s. Unfortunately I need to downsize, so the system will change again soon...

Looking forward to being a part of the forum!!

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2016, 1:56 am 

Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome! Joe - thanks again for helping me get to where I am now. I do realize it's going to be quite difficult to downsize but I don't really have a choice. I just moved in with the girlfriend and she doesn't like the speakers one bit :( Perhaps I should heed TubeDriver's advice... hmmm..... ;)

Right now I'm leaning towards keeping the the drivers, XOs, and the girlfriend. I'd build new cabinets with GAF in mind. The 614 looks to be my best bet in this regard, but the GF wants the horns INSIDE the cabinets. Grrr!

P.S. I owe a thanks to Roscoe for the speakers and for JE for contributing his ideas, even though both of you did so unknowingly!