DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Greetings
PostPosted: August 3rd, 2016, 9:05 am 

Listen, Man. You have to lay down the RULES early. Like, "Don't mess with the system, understand?"

I did with Joyce and it worked for me....but I now realize that it wears off after 30 years, and then you're totally screwed! :wtf:

32s are easy to put inside the box but I wouldn't do it. Sets a bad precedent.

Anyway, I pointed out the 414/32 system that that "destroyer of markets" Joseph Esmilla character blogged about when we first met. The basic concept is scalable to a degree,

PostPosted: August 5th, 2016, 1:53 am 

J-ROB wrote:
Listen, Man. You have to lay down the RULES early. Like, "Don't mess with the system, understand?"

I did with Joyce and it worked for me....but I now realize that it wears off after 30 years, and then you're totally screwed! :wtf:

32s are easy to put inside the box but I wouldn't do it. Sets a bad precedent.

Anyway, I pointed out the 414/32 system that that "destroyer of markets" Joseph Esmilla character blogged about when we first met. The basic concept is scalable to a degree,

Haha! Well, she knows not to mess with the system... That much is clear. When I upgraded to the 414/32 my system size doubled, and with our recent move, our living space halved. :think:

What is wrong with putting the 32s inside the cabinet?

I've browsed various Altec plans this week... The 9849 cabinet seems to be the only cabinet I can find with the horns inside the speaker cabinet. It's designed for the 414B, though. Thoughts? http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/vintage ... _sheet.pdf

PostPosted: August 5th, 2016, 6:38 am 

When I say don't mess with the system, I meant to say don't mess with my pursuit of extravagantly large audio systems...

Of course, partners must be envouraged to participate.

Joyce and I lived in a tiny apartment in Old Town Alexandria for some years in the 80s. These are the days when i would rent a van every weekend , go to the hamfest, and fill it up. I had the kitchen cabinets full of transformers and tubes,built and fixed amps on the kitchen table, Had Quads, RCA LC-1As, Valencias, you name it.

Then, I had a hamshack with Collins tube gear and mil surplus boatanchors in the bedroom with a mini-beam out on the fire escape on a TV antenna mast.

Yeah Man, that is the power of young love.

32 horns should in fact be inside the cabinet. I can't think of any Altec factory system where they are not so mounted. I suppose Esmilla had the horn on top because he likes to switch horns. but iIdeally the horn gets bolted to the front baffle. It really does look fugly and weird to normal people to have the 32s on top of the box, face it.

Any box of say 4 cu ft and up would work with 414s. Don't you have a friend in VA who is a woodworker? Get a nice new cabinet made. 9849 type schemes will work That is about as small as you can go and keep the faith on the 414/32 approach.

If you want the vintage boxes I got from you back, you can paint them with gray chalk paint, install this red and gold grill cloth I have, and they will look like Pier One country craft decor. A major concession to domesticity...

PostPosted: August 6th, 2016, 12:01 pm 

Here's what your old cabs look like now...cut for 12" and 32 horn.

You would need to clean up the 32 cutout, which I screwed up a bit with an underpowered trim router.

Put the grill frames and grill cloth on, paint with chalk paint, and this would be pure Martha Stewart

I want to try to get somebody to build new cabs for me for this project. Found a possible woodworker dude on Craigslist but if anybody has suggestions...

Attachments:
IMG_1934[1].JPG
IMG_1934[1].JPG [ 101.24 KiB | Viewed 11375 times ]

PostPosted: August 6th, 2016, 1:56 pm 

To build new cabinets Paul Elliott has the skill base and the tools to take care of you. The big question is does he the have time?

And of course the cost -- it ain't gonna be free.