Switch to full style
New users MUST post an introduction here to gain full membership
Post a reply

Re: Hello from justinis

July 15th, 2016, 5:23 pm

Thanks! I have simulated parts of the amplifier using LTSpice and Duncan PSU designer, but not the whole thing. That would be intense!

July 15th, 2016, 5:31 pm

Yup, PSpice is the way to go, if you want to go there.....

brombo wrote:I was thinking more of simulating the entire amplifier.

July 15th, 2016, 5:45 pm

For those old to remember SPICE is a digital implementation of an analog computer (I once used a Heath-Kit analog computer in college). The most complicated simulation I used SPICE for was a linear diesel engine directly connected to an alternator for a hybrid vehicle study.

July 15th, 2016, 5:47 pm

Where's the "Like" button.....?
Oh, here it is: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

brombo wrote:For those old to remember SPICE is a digital implementation of an analog computer (I once used a Heath-Kit analog computer in college). The most complicated simulation I used SPICE for was a linear diesel engine directly connected to an alternator for a hybrid vehicle study.

In, before Roscoe - :text-worthless:

July 15th, 2016, 6:52 pm

For those that are interested attached are pictures of the Heathkit analog computer and a schematic of a linear diesel alternator -
Attachments
ldpm.jpg
heath-ec1-no1.JPG

July 15th, 2016, 8:07 pm

You have exceeded expectations.......!
Cool stuff.

July 16th, 2016, 5:27 pm

Welcome, Justin. The choke input to the filter is an excellent way to reduce the B+ voltage. The requirement for proper operation is that the choke must remain in continuous-current mode of operation. This means that the current never goes to zero. So sufficient loading of the power supply is required for the value of the choke used. If this requirement is met, you get the RMS value of the dc voltage from the rectifier rather than the peak voltage. So forgetting parasitic losses, a 300-0-300 volt transformer will give you about 440 V dc if loaded with a capacitor, but 300 V dc with the choke input to the filter. The regulation is generally better with the choke loading because the transformer does not have to deliver high peak capacitor-charging currents, and the rectifier resistance becomes less of an issue as well. Do note that if no current is drawn from your B+ supply while other tubes are warming up, the voltage will rise to the peak unloaded transformer condition, which in the above case might be over 500 volts.

David

July 16th, 2016, 7:02 pm

Justin,

If you want a good old school lesson on tube power supplies (and many other germane topics) try to find a early-70s or earlier copy of "The Radio Amateur's Handbook" by ARRL.

Shouldn't be hard...there are a zillion copies of this perennial annual in print.

July 18th, 2016, 10:17 am

Thanks J-ROB and dberning!
Post a reply