DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: July 9th, 2016, 7:40 pm 

Live in Northern Va. Was at a DCaudiodiy meeting several years ago at a club member's house in MD. Sorry, I can't remember his name, but I recall the open baffle loudspeakers that appear to be the same as the ones on the FB page. I also remember a good spread!!

Been off and on the last few years. As my system has improved, I have felt less compelled to sort through the endless debates on the internet forums. However, every once in a while I venture back to find out what's going on.

I am an electrical engineer, retired Patent Examiner, and an audiophile for half a century. My amp, pre "amp", and DAC were all built by me. I became a horn lover via Edgar, and have been modifying and tweaking my Edgarhorn clones for over a decade. Looking to replace the Tractrix midrange horns with JMLCs in the future.

I will probably be posting in the Swap forum soon, to clear out some stuff.

Post subject: Re: Hello
PostPosted: July 10th, 2016, 5:36 pm 

Pooge wrote:
Live in Northern Va. Was at a DCaudiodiy meeting several years ago at a club member's house in MD. Sorry, I can't remember his name, but I recall the open baffle loudspeakers that appear to be the same as the ones on the FB page. I also remember a good spread!!

Been off and on the last few years. As my system has improved, I have felt less compelled to sort through the endless debates on the internet forums. However, every once in a while I venture back to find out what's going on.

I am an electrical engineer, retired Patent Examiner, and an audiophile for half a century. My amp, pre "amp", and DAC were all built by me. I became a horn lover via Edgar, and have been modifying and tweaking my Edgarhorn clones for over a decade. Looking to replace the Tractrix midrange horns with JMLCs in the future.

I will probably be posting in the Swap forum soon, to clear out some stuff.

howdy, so a former PE, what class (I know you guys say art unit, but I know examiners better by the classes...)

PostPosted: July 11th, 2016, 7:37 am 

I worked in medical testing art.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2016, 1:26 pm 

Howdy, and welcome to the club! I don't get involved in chatroom exchanges, I just like to find what works for me and then listen.

Hope to meet you in person sometime soon!

PostPosted: July 11th, 2016, 6:13 pm 

Pooge wrote:
I worked in medical testing art.

I work/worked as a patent searcher for about 30 years. Did you know Hindenburg or Dan Burke, those are some I knew from the older times...

PostPosted: July 11th, 2016, 6:57 pm 

Welcome back...

What is your real name?

I still don't know who is who relative to screen names, even after meeting many in the flesh.

Like who the heck is ratbagp? Is that Pete?

My real name is J-Rob but my mom calls me "Joe Roberts."

Anyway, we have an interesting very diverse group. Seems no two of us are on exactly the same path and I like that.

The public forums are useful for background info only. Everybody is a genius and knows it all. Some forums are worse than others in this respect.

I say pick a theme and work it yourself and grow with it. Nobody else has to like it or believe in it, because this is DIY. Follow your own spirit guide!

PostPosted: July 11th, 2016, 7:42 pm 

Pete is TubeDriver.

Ratbagp is Ray (with the GK71/Hamster cage amp)

Mix4Fix is Steve

PostPosted: July 11th, 2016, 7:58 pm 

Yup. I picked the name TubeDriver because I like vacuum tubes and I also drive (instructor/racer as well as security driver training) so....TubeDriver.

Pooge, I remember from DejaVu and also I think we worked at the same place for a while?

Stuart Polansky wrote:
Pete is TubeDriver.

Ratbagp is Ray (with the GK71/Hamster cage amp)

Mix4Fix is Steve

PostPosted: July 11th, 2016, 8:31 pm 

ratbagp is Ray Perry. I am an Aussie who has been living in the US (North East MD) for over 30 years.

ratbag has many meanings in Aussie slang but probably the kindest is described in the beginning of the following article.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/bigideas/a-call-for-us-all-to-embrace-our-inner-ratbag/6889214

There is a photo of me (with the hat) at the start of this blog entry.

http://ratbagp.blogspot.com/2013/07/day-16-grosmont-to-robin-hoods-bay.html

In Australia, 'ratbag' can be used as a term of endearment and my sisters and I remember my father as a wonderful ratbag. I have a book about famous Aussie ratbags which includes people such as Germaine Greer and Barry Humphries of Dame Edna Everage fame. If you have never seen Dame Edna, take a look at this interview with Sean Connery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ysINNySRAo

The GK71 is actually one of my more normal looking amps.

ray

PostPosted: July 12th, 2016, 9:27 am 

J-ROB wrote:
Welcome back...

What is your real name?

Real name is John.