DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Greetings from Brombo
PostPosted: July 8th, 2016, 4:54 pm 

I have been an audioholic since the early 70's. In the early days I built kits from Heath and Dynaco and built speakers with an custom electronic cross-over using Altec Voice of the Theater components. I worked for the Army for 32 years as an electrical engineer and physicist. My current system contains a custom htpc running ubuntu and kodi. My current hardware is -

Projector: Optoma HD-25e
Screen: Elite Screens Sable Frame Series, 120-inch Diagonal 16:9, Fixed Frame Projection Screen, Model: ER120WH1

Loudspeakers:
Main Speakers (L&R): Craver Original Amazing Speakers
Center Speaker (C): Klipsch RC-62 II
Surround Speakers (SR&SL): B&W 600i
Subwoofer (LFE): Dayton Audio 18" Reference Series HO Subwoofer, Cabinet, and SPA 1000 plate amplifier

Amplififers:
L and R: Emotiva XPR-2 (600W/8Ohms 1000W/4Ohms stereo)
C: Dayton Audio APA150 (150W/8Ohms mono, 75W/4Ohms stereo)
SL and SR: Adcom GFA 5300 (80W/8Ohms stereo)

Possible Future Amp:
Emotiva Gen-3 4-channel for CBT36K speakers

DSP-Crossover
miniDSP 2x4 for CBT36K

CBT36K Power Requirements:
LF - 500W @ 4Ohms
HF - 150W @ 4Ohms

Pre-Amp: Emotiva UMC-200

A/V Sources:
PC (Ubuntu 14.04)
Hardware -
Asus M4A88T-M
AMD Phenom II X4 965 cpu
8 Gb memory
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-7KE256BW)(system drive)
Pioneer Electronics USA Internal Blu-Ray Writer (BDR-209DBK)
EVGA GeForce GT 740 2GB GDDR5
Ceton Infini TV 6 pcie turner card (Verizon Fios)
Asus Xonar D2 sound card (currently not being used)
Ortek Media Center MCE PC Remote Control and Infrared Receiver VRC-1100 (only using reciever)

Software -
Myth TV 0.27 backend
Kodi 16.0 frontend (media player)
Video Files
Audio Files
CD's
DVD's
Blu Rays (Play Commercial blu rays using Makemkv plugin for Kodi)
Live and Recorded TV (pvr myth tv plugin)

Remote: Iogear wireless keyboard with integral trackball.
Logitec Harmony 1100

I am currently assembling the CBT36K speaker kit and considering adding a second subwoofer identical to the one already in the system. I am interested in meeting other audioholics in the Silver Spring area (I live between Wheaton Regional Park and the Northwest Branch Park) interested in digital sound (htpc) for home theater.

If anyone is interested I would like to explain the theory behind the CBT36K speaker

http://www.parts-express.com/audio-arti ... t--301-980

Note that I still have some Altec Voice of the Theater components (no charge) that I am trying to find a good home for -

3000H Tweeter (2)
511B Horn (2)
808A Driver (2)

PostPosted: July 9th, 2016, 7:54 am 
Site Admin

Welcome aboard. I'm sure by now you've realized there's no cure for you affliction ;)

We're at the Capital Audio Fest this weekend at the Hilton in Rockville, swing by and check it out if you haven't already, we're in room 218... :music-listening:

I'd be interested in those 808s, and I know forum member J-ROB has been looking for a pair of 3000s...

Again, welcome, and hope to see you this weekend. :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Roscoe

PostPosted: July 9th, 2016, 8:28 am 

If you want the 808's you have to take the 511B's. I looked at the web site for Audiofest and your room is the only thing I found interesting (the Audiofest website is how I found out about your group). The usual "audiophile" stuff is too far off the deep end for me (that why I call myself an audioholic instead of audiophile) and is a good example of the law of diminishing returns. I am currently most interested in speakers that sound best in the real world (a listening room) not an anechoic chamber. If you have not already I suggest looking at Don Keele's website -

http://www.xlrtechs.com/dbkeele.com/

especially the section on the CBT's

Question, how do I insert an image (jpg) into my reply.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2016, 9:28 am 

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, I am deeply in need of a pr of 3000 tweeters to complete the Altec 756B speakers currently sitting in the DIY room. Used a pr of Fountek ribbons to tide me over, which are not my style (being more of an Altec/Western Electric aficionado).

The 756Bs were originally paired with 3000A tweeters in the Altec Melodist system.

There is a wide range of interests in our small wacky group. I'm more on the classic/vintage side.

Posting an image is easy...browse, select image, then add file in the box below the post window.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2016, 9:59 am 

Attachment:
3000H.jpg
3000H.jpg [ 291.45 KiB | Viewed 25706 times ]
Attached is a picture. If you want them I live at -

12435 Kemp Mill Road
Silver Spring Md. 20902

(301)-625-5951

Give me a call and we can arrange for you to pick them up. As I stated, no cost, I just want to give them to someone who would use them.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2016, 10:08 am 

Attached are photos of my current system and future speakers (in assembly) -

Attachments:
cbt_baffle.jpg
cbt_baffle.jpg [ 332.06 KiB | Viewed 25706 times ]
equipment_rack.jpg
equipment_rack.jpg [ 256.77 KiB | Viewed 25706 times ]
man_cave.jpg
man_cave.jpg [ 243.84 KiB | Viewed 25706 times ]

PostPosted: July 9th, 2016, 1:17 pm 

Excellent...I'll swing by this week and pick up the tweets. I'm busy with the show this weekend but free day and night otherwise.

I had a conversation with two members about line arrays yesterday at the show.

I'm sure a few of us, including myself, would love to hear these when completed. I believe there was a pair at Rocky Mountain a few years ago and they garnered some good reactions.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2016, 6:49 pm 

Welcome to the club. I see you are building the CBT32. I am at the Midwest Audiofest right now and Don Keele is introducing a new simpler version of the CBT array. It will be available as a kit with the housing complete but in need of painting, wiring and driver installation. Also it will now be available assembled as in the photo I took yesterday with Don in it. The new one sounds quite good but it has been a while since I heard the original so I don't know if this is a step forward or back. The new one does not have a final price but the target is to have the complete unit lower in cost than the old kit.

Tom

Attachments:
MWAF8.jpg
MWAF8.jpg [ 239.89 KiB | Viewed 25697 times ]

PostPosted: July 9th, 2016, 7:03 pm 

I see 24 drivers in the photo and no tweeters. My kit have 18 mid/bass drivers and 72 tweeters per speaker. I would say in his new version he is using more and smaller full range drivers with no separate tweeters simplifying construction and lowering cost. Don also told me that with the correct impedance drivers someone in Canada had found a wiring scheme that could get the required driver shading with no resistors. Also it also looks like the new version does not need bi-amplification. My main delay in assembly has been finishing (in the woodworking sense) the blasted mdf cabinets.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2016, 9:50 am 
Site Admin

Nice to meet you last night, and thanks again for the Altec goodies. :obscene-drinkingcheers: Hope you can make it to a meeting soon. I'm planning to host one sometime early in August, but I know that's a haul for you.

Roscoe