DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hi
PostPosted: June 7th, 2016, 4:11 pm 

Very interesting to see what people like in cables.

I have generally preferred balanced runs (identical legs for each polarity) of solid core and my taste in cables reflects that (mix of DIY, DNM, AntiCables, Audioquest, XLO). I have to admit that I have always looked down my nose at coax and shielded cable (except for phono situations where noise is an issue).

Those old Switchcraft RCAs look interesting and very low mass. Can anyone comment on how they sound? They are a true 75ohm RCA?

PostPosted: June 7th, 2016, 6:17 pm 

Then there is micro-wave cable like the W.L. Gore Phaseflex. I've cabled up with that stuff and in a shoot-out with Nordost Odin the Gore won big time.

A buddy of mine has had the same experience. The Gore stuff can be found on eBay in the form of used surplus. It's not cheap and it's a pain-in-the-ass to terminate -- but OH BOY!!

I've done singles and shot-gunned it for balanced line. Awsome stuff for audio! :thumbup:

Attachments:
00 AA WD.jpg
00 AA WD.jpg [ 1.22 MiB | Viewed 19458 times ]

PostPosted: June 7th, 2016, 7:56 pm 

SoundMods wrote:
Then there is micro-wave cable like the W.L. Gore Phaseflex. I've cabled up with that stuff and in a shoot-out with Nordost Odin the Gore won big time.

A buddy of mine has had the same experience. The Gore stuff can be found on eBay in the form of used surplus. It's not cheap and it's a pain-in-the-ass to terminate -- but OH BOY!!

I've done singles and shot-gunned it for balanced line. Awsome stuff for audio! :thumbup:

Very interesting! I would like to give this a try... Is that the wire you are talking about? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gore-Phaseflex-65474-30-9m-Type-N-Connector-Microwave-Coax-RF-Braided-Cable-/152115147495?hash=item236ac4f2e7:g:9-YAAOSwepJXUnG5

PostPosted: June 8th, 2016, 8:59 am 

Yes. That's it. You found a nice offering. Go for it.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2016, 9:02 am 
Site Admin

SoundMods wrote:
It's not cheap and it's a pain-in-the-ass to terminate -- but OH BOY!!

You could always convert all your audio gear to N connectors ;)

Roscoe

PostPosted: June 8th, 2016, 9:23 am 

If my system was solid-sate based and DC coupled it would be fun to set the connection impedance to 50 or 75-ohms based on 50 or 75-ohm cable. The Phaseflex has a characteristic impedance of 50-ohms.

Oh well -- I am addicted to vacuum tubes -- they serve the music so well.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2016, 2:22 pm 

SoundMods wrote:
If my system was solid-sate based and DC coupled it would be fun to set the connection impedance to 50 or 75-ohms based on 50 or 75-ohm cable. The Phaseflex has a characteristic impedance of 50-ohms.

Oh well -- I am addicted to vacuum tubes -- they serve the music so well.

So this Gore Phaseflex would not work well as interconnects for tube gear (e.g. phono stage to line stage or line stage to amp)?

PostPosted: June 8th, 2016, 3:08 pm 

I got about 100' of something (LMR-100?) with the same general characteristics (but a LOT cheaper and not early as nice?). By same characteristics, I mean coax design, solid core center conductor with PTFE insulation, foil and also a braided shield under some type of gray jacket. Very detailed/clean but thin and lightweight sounding. I doubled up runs for a balanced connection (more full sounding) between my TT and phono stage but I could never get that last visage of leanness out of it. Rosco used to run this in his system and I got it from him.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2016, 3:20 pm 

I think you may have misinterpreted my impedance comment.

Let me put it this way -- there are no interconnects on this earth that match the impedance of any audio equipment other than digital interconnects that match up with the 75-ohm SP/DIF characteristics or the 110-ohm AES/EBU characteristics. Of course there are professional systems with balanced lines that match up with transformers, but that is another area altogether.

It would be an interesting exercise to modify a direct coupled solid-state pre-amp with a 50-ohm source impedance (provided its output stage can drive a reactive 50-ohm load) and modify a power-amp with a 50-ohm load impedance than hook them up with Phaseflex that has a characteristic impedance of 50-ohms. That could be the ideal interconnecting scheme. Yes? No?

I am using the Gore Phaseflex pretty much everywhere. All of my stuff is vacuum tube as is the my friend's stuff who also has discovered the Gore Phaseflex. Like I said -- it is a royal pain-in-the-ass to terminate, but OH BOY! The sound reproduction is top notch. Those cables simply step out of the way. :D

Actually, if it wasn't for the U.S.S.R. and U.S. military and aerospace requirements I would not have the really cool surplus parts, cables, and tubes that have transformed my audio system over many years of addictive DIY meddling. :crazy:

PostPosted: June 8th, 2016, 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

If you buy the Gore cables from the listing above, make the guy a low-ball offer, he took my offer of $175 for 55' of the same cable as here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gore-Phaseflex- ... 2115145663

Pete - You talking about that approximately 1/8" cable? That's standard telco 735 cable used for short DS-3 runs. I've used the 1/4" 734 cable, which is for longer DS-3 runs, for speaker cables with good results. The 735 cable ought to make great digital cables as well.

Roscoe

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next