DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello from HAL
PostPosted: January 13th, 2016, 9:26 pm 

Hi,
Know some of you folks from the Audio Circle MAAC gatherings and finally getting around to joining.

HAL stands for Hollis Audio Labs. I build Music Servers and work with the dspMusik digital crossover system for folks.

I also build DIY speakers for my setup and presently using an open baffle setup with a BG NEO3 and NEO10 for the upper OB and a 2x12 H-Frame with servo subs for the lower end. The dspMusik is the digital crossover in use.

Also have an Audiomatica CLIOwin system for speaker measurements and getting pretty good with Room EQ Wizard for room tuning.

Always fun to hear about new speaker designs specifically OB line arrays and planars.

Good to meet you all! :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Post subject: Re: Hello from HAL
PostPosted: January 14th, 2016, 7:35 am 

Welcome!

I used Hawthorne audio OB speakers and OB subs (bass augmenter). There are several members her who have OB or Planar speakers in the main system.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2016, 8:54 am 

Welcome HAL! There are lots of Daves in the group, I hope you can get along. (showing my age here!)Image

I'm also a big planar fan. I've lusted after Martin Logan Monoliths for decades and I've owned Magnepans since 1979, when Gatt, may he rest in peace, introduced me to them.

I'm starting a new build you may be able to shed light and advice on. Look for it in "Projects".

Maggie ribbon, line array of Neo8 (both open baffle) and four Dayton RS180-4 enclosed in a linear array, same 24" wide panel, or at least that's the plan now. Wood is waiting to be cut. Have everything but the 8 RS180-4s.

Look forward to hearing your rig and advice!

Stuart

PostPosted: January 14th, 2016, 9:32 am 

Welcome, HAL, I'd like to understand servo woofers one day - hopefully we'll get together and talk, or you can write lessons for folks like me and post them here! ;)

PostPosted: January 14th, 2016, 10:08 am 

Thanks for the welcomes!

Guy,
Here is a link to the Rythmik Audio website that discusses the servo technology I am using in the subs. His explanation is much better than I can do:

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/technology.html

Stuart,
That picture is usually my avatar on forums. :)

I had read about your speaker project. I have not designed baffles, but have worked on the 3-way digital crossovers for those style of designs.

The key is gated time far field measurements for the arrays and see what is needed for the crossover. Also if a passive crossover is already designed, measuring the drive to the array's allows for another way to emulate the passive with the digital crossover.

PostPosted: January 15th, 2016, 9:09 am 

Thanks, HAL: checking it out...