DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: newbie
PostPosted: September 24th, 2015, 8:40 pm 

Hi all,

Glad I found you-- happened briefly by the room at CAF, and jotted down the group name in my phone.

I am a temporary transplant to NOVa (Potomac Falls area). I am a research psychologist in my day job, I took a 10 year hiatus from building stuff when we started our family, but inching my way back in. I cut my teeth back in the bay area in the days of rec.audio.diy, the BASS list, and the original MAD board for those of you who remember.

I mostly build speakers-- for myself and friends and family, though I leave the designing to others. Currently researching my next build because I don't have 13k lying around to buy a pair of Salk Exotica 3s (for those of you who might have heard them at CAF).

I've tinkered with other stuff too-- a foreplay preamp, a Class D Audio amplifier, a 1959 Zenith hi fidelity lo boy stereo :dance: , and most recently a Pass B1...

Looking forward to poking around and learning about what others in the area are listening to...

thanks!

-vince

Post subject: Re: newbie
PostPosted: September 25th, 2015, 11:32 am 
Site Admin

Welcome. Everyone has to start somewhere, we've got speaker bui8lders, amp builders, turntable builders, etc. Some of build pretty much everything, but most of us specialize....

Just curious, what was playing when you stopped buy the room at CAF, and what was your impression?

Roscoe

PostPosted: September 25th, 2015, 3:12 pm 

Hey Roscoe,

Thanks. To be honest, I literally just poked my head in-- I had a few hours to spend at the show, and I spent most of it busily going from one room to the next. There wasn't too much there that wowed me; the Salk speakers were more the exception than the rule...!

I did pick up a Dual 1229 last year, speaking of vinyl. Working to get a rumble out of it (think it is the spindle bearing)...!

-v

PostPosted: October 1st, 2015, 7:55 am 

Greetings, Vince!

It's great to increase the experience base with another person. There are a lot of things I'd like to learn and verify in speakers, so I'll most likely be picking your brains along with others in the club. As the weather tunrs colder, I'll be upping my indoor projects (I hope) and building less cars (again, I hope.)

It's good to meet you, in person one day!