DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello from a new old guy
PostPosted: August 30th, 2015, 12:22 pm 

Hi Group:

I talked to David B., Roscoe and David Mc while at CAF yesterday. I Googled DC DIY today and found this board. I know some members and fondly remember Phil A who built the speakers in the room yesterday. I sold him gear when I ran Sound Images/High Tech in Bethesda in the early 2000's. I also spent some time with him and heard his taller thinner hanging stats. He was a total hoot to hang around.

Perhaps member Stuart Polansky is the same Stuart who worked at Radio Shack when I did in the late 70's. We both avidly collected D2D vinyl and I went to his house near Northwestern High and heard his Magnepan MG-1's I think.

I live in eastern WV now in the woods and started Electronicman last year. This is a business where I repair and and install everything electronic from old tube radios to audio and video, antennas and computers. My business model is "I come to you for free". This allows me to avoid a big rent which would really be a waste of money here in rural WV. But with electronics and the general public it is better to see the gear in its environment which also means the customer doesn't have to disconnect it and tote it somewhere which again for the general public can be a challenge.

So that's me. I love the Three Stooges thus my moniker and I love baseball. As some member can attest I have odd musical tastes. I'm an extra class ham radio operator as is my wife and I have 5 antennas on my property here. I enjoy talking all over the world with 100 watts when mother nature (band conditions) cooperates. I have four 6 foot plus antennas for various bands I put on top of my Honda Element and an older HF hybrid tube rig that runs on 12V and uses 2/6146's for output.

Earl

PostPosted: August 31st, 2015, 8:22 am 

Hey Mr. Curlington, it's good to meet you! That sounds like the right Stuart - he should chime in soon.
You have an interesting business model. Hopefully we'll meet in person before long!

PostPosted: August 31st, 2015, 8:53 am 

Big EARL!

Did you want to sell me another System Seven so you can finally win that trip to Hawaii???

You are the man and it is great to know you are still around!

Hope to connect with you soon. I have your business card.

It's incredible that 1) you had not found the group until now and 2) You knew Phil, who built the 'stats!

We'll have a meet soon, hopefully you'll be able to make it.

In 1989, 10 years after buying the MG-1's, I sold them to a friend who still has them (but probably in a closet) for $350. So I had them for 10 years for $150!

I bought and have modified a pair of Tympani IVs to replace the smaller Maggies.

BTW, I still have my Tympani's although I will have to downsize soon. :(

Stuart

PostPosted: August 31st, 2015, 10:19 am 
Site Admin

Nice meeting you at CAF. Where in WV are you? I work right where 66 hits 81.

73, N4RP

PostPosted: August 31st, 2015, 11:04 am 

OK a few replies in one:

Roscoe:

I live in Hampshire County WV. It is west of Winchester on Rt50 just across the WV line. I worked as a bench tech repairing and calibrating test equipment a few years ago. Are you in that building on the right you can see from 81 when heading south just before 66? I seem to remember it is something technical.

Stuart:

Oh how cool! I still remember listening to D2D on your Maggies back in the 70's. So yes I do hope we can catch up more in person. Does this group ever have meetings or events where people get together? Hope to see you sooner than later. Phil was quite a guy! Every minute with him was cherished.

Guy:

Hello to you too in Highland. That's near Brighton Dam right? Hope to meet you f2f as well.

Cheers all!

Earl Thomas

PostPosted: August 31st, 2015, 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

Curlington wrote:
OK a few replies in one:

Roscoe:
I live in Hampshire County WV. It is west of Winchester on Rt50 just across the WV line. I worked as a bench tech repairing and calibrating test equipment a few years ago. Are you in that building on the right you can see from 81 when heading south just before 66? I seem to remember it is something technical.

Yeah, the one with the two microwave towers (which are no longer in service). Been here for just over 5yrs, it's a data center, I'm the IT weenie....

Roscoe

PostPosted: August 31st, 2015, 1:19 pm 

I meant to say as a bench tech in Front Royal. I remember passing that complex. I'm a jack of all trades electronically. I played my first computer game in the 60's just a random number gen game with text only when my dad worked at Honeywell. It was a teletype to mainframe connection from home via the old 300 baud stick the phone handset in type modem.

I sold lots of TRS 80 when Stuart and I worked at the Shack and was friends with an IT guy at the Coast Guard and always got his hand me down PC's when he upgraded. I remember my 286 w/2 40 meg SCSI HD's! I ran a network with 20 workstations in the late 90's and build my own PC's and repair them as well as client PC's these days.

I have a great setup to outwit the Internet w/proxy servers, Open DNS and the like, no resource hogging antivirus crap needed. The Internet is like walking down the street as five year old with everyone offering you candy.............

Earl

W3SQE mostly HF and a 2M rig in the Element

PostPosted: September 1st, 2015, 8:36 am 

Computer games? Did you play Star Trek on a teletype? I think I did that in '69 - used to have paper tapes in film canisters to save my programs.
Not dating myself, am I? :character-oldtimer: