DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Greetings, everyone.
PostPosted: August 28th, 2015, 5:30 pm 

I am located in Frederick, Maryland and am looking forward to meeting some of you this weekend at Capital Audiofest. I am a longtime music lover who is beginning some DIY projects. My current systems are modest and favor low power and high efficiency, including modded Klipsch Forte 1s, Decware 944 bookshelf speakers and my favorites: Omega Super 7 XRS Alnicos. But I also love my Totem Arros and a few other speakers (OK, many others).

For me, digital amps are the future, and I prefer my unassuming TBI Millenia MG3 Mk 3 amps (Class BD) with a Decware tube preamp, but I also greatly enjoy a Pass Aleph J clone (it doubles as a space heater) and a few classic SS integrated amps from the 70s-80s. I generally use a separate, modest DAC and decent cables, nothing fancy. Most everything is second hand.

I have moved toward uncompressed audio and studio master files, rather than vinyl. I am assembling a basic wood shop for both work and pleasure. I am very interested in single driver speakers and folded horns at the moment and am constructing a few simple TQWT cabinets with Tang Band and MarkAudio drivers plus various other round, black objects that seem to accumulate around here all by themselves, especially when I am not looking.

For me, tone, balance, and low distortion are important, and a sense of genuine emotional engagement - how a system makes me feel is as important as how it sounds. I don't care as much about specs, though they are a useful tool, of course.

I am happy to be joining now in advance of this weekend. Hope to meet you soon!

Post subject: Re: Greetings, everyone.
PostPosted: August 31st, 2015, 8:18 am 

Sky, It will be very interesting to hear your speakers once they're done. I haven't built anything that complicated, and it will be fun to compare them to others in the club. Maybe we should feature them next year at the show?

PostPosted: August 31st, 2015, 10:18 am 
Site Admin

Nice meeting you at CAF. Hope to see you soon at one of our meetings!

Roscoe

PostPosted: August 31st, 2015, 11:56 am 

Guy,

Thank you, that is flattering, but I am a newb, and the quality of gear on display in this group's room this weekend was excellent! Hats off to everyone in the group who participated! I was very impressed.
:handgestures-thumbupleft:

Roscoe, thanks - Your OB's are outstanding. Following Satchmo with early Zeppelin at the end yesterday was a memorable pairing. :clap:

A month after that band released that song, they performed it live at Merriweather Post Pavilion. They were the opening act for some no-name group called The Who. Someone recorded it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYpzn6TprLY

I also really enjoyed the Audio Note room - a duet between the cellist and his own recording.

Attachments:
Cellistphotosm.jpg
Cellistphotosm.jpg [ 396.08 KiB | Viewed 11643 times ]