Switch to full style
New users MUST post an introduction here to gain full membership
Post a reply

July 24th, 2015, 4:26 pm

Hello all this is Walt D'Ascenzo a hands-on Rabid Audiophile who uses tubes from the 1930s and surplus components from the U.S. and U.S.S.R. (now known as the Russian Federation) military and aerospace efforts.

I am a solder sniffer from way back and love Roscoe's pulled pork -- YUM!.

Cheers to all!

Walt

Re: New Member

July 25th, 2015, 12:12 am

I've heard his system a few times, each time it sings better than the last, and its amazing what Walt does with bits and pieces. Personally I think he sniffs way too much burning rosin!

Speaker Cable

July 25th, 2015, 10:53 am

I am in the middle of a new project. I have some nice Teflon Heliax communications cable that I have been sitting on for about ten years now. I will be road testing it for use as speaker cable. It has a highly polished copper clad aluminum center conductor that is suspended inside a corrugated copper tube (the shield). It has essentially an air dielectric. I have performed a trial already in terms of working it. A thermal stripper and a sharp copper tubing-cutter gets the job done. Stay tuned for the result.

Walt

Re: Speaker Cable

August 23rd, 2015, 12:09 pm

[quote="SoundMods"]I am in the middle of a new project. I have some nice Teflon Heliax communications cable that I have been sitting on for about ten years now. I will be road testing it for use as speaker cable. It has a highly polished copper clad aluminum center conductor that is suspended inside a corrugated copper tube (the shield). It has essentially an air dielectric. I have performed a trial already in terms of working it. A thermal stripper and a sharp copper tubing-cutter gets the job done. Stay tuned for the result.

The new Heliax cable has been installed now for a couple of weeks and to say it was an improvement is a gross under statement. The overall improvement is along the lines of changing out a major piece of electronics. WOW! Transparency, sound stage, bass detail, sweet treble, etc. The cable before it stood the test of time against all comers (a quad core silver/Teflon with Kapton insulation obtained from the Boeing Plant in Everest, Washington) and the Heliax blew it away -- it was no contest. :D

August 24th, 2015, 11:02 am

Something like this: https://www.tessco.com/products/display ... sku=429150 ?

I'm down to my last 350' or so ;)

Roscoe

August 24th, 2015, 11:20 am

Hi Roscoe!

The Heliax I used was 3/8" plenum-rated cable with an air dielectric as opposed to foam. As it happens it fit PL-259 connectors perfectly.

I have the brochure to review but your system does not allow <*.pdf> files. ???

August 24th, 2015, 12:55 pm

The forum should allow .pdf files at this point, but NOT in the new user introductions section. Start a new thread in project discussions, and you should be OK...

Roscoe

August 24th, 2015, 1:04 pm

Do I get some Pulled Pork to go? :lol:

August 24th, 2015, 1:13 pm

I saved a sandwich from Roscoe's...trade ya for a matched quartet of caps.
Post a reply