DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 1st, 2015, 10:18 am 

Hello Everyone,
Well my name is Richard ever since I was small over 40 years ago .
I have been working with electronics mostly home audio. including car audio and all my friends started a nickname RadioRich because they knew who to go to when their radios where not working .
Anyway moving on I took electronics in mid and high school and college in Tacoma Wa.
Where after getting out of School I started working in 1988 at a radio and tv business called Northwest Radio and tv. which was started in the 1940s and at one time had 3 or 4 stores .
then ended buying that business well then word got around who to set about your home and car audio and tv and vcr repair. So my good customers call me RadioRich. I mostly Collect and restore tube radios and hifi gear Also design and build speakers . even thou don't have a store front I still repair sets for customers.
Some of my favorite home audio is Pioneer,JBL, Sony, Marantz,Kenwood,Harmon Kardon,
Far antique tube radios I have over 100 in my collection mostly Philco,Zenith ,Crosley I do have Silvertone, some other brands to.
Far as home audio I have like 3 Harmon Kardon receivers in my collection the oldest being 1958.
I have everything from Dat recorders to reel to reels to Wire recorders.
Sincerely Richard

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2015, 12:53 pm 

Welcome Richard! We need to have a meet soon so that all odofds you new members can meet the older crew. You'll have a great time!

Stuart

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2015, 3:25 pm 

Welcome! I am also a fan of older JBL stuff, I own a pair of old JBL speakers.

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2015, 3:27 pm 

Hi Rich:
Welcome to the club. We have lots of people who share your passion for building things and generally like to jaw about things of interest. It's always good to have new members, new skills, and of course new opinions to be shared.

Tom

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2015, 6:50 pm 

Hello tubedriver,
thank you I have been member of another forum since 2005 ARF .but even when was running my radio and tv repair full bore I did allot stereo's including setting up home theaters systems .
Ever since I was a young man I have worked with home audio one my first was old 1950s Columbia
Am/fm phone console.
In my collection I have set early 1970s Sony floor model 4 way speakers that Are NOS and have been played once . these speakers were at the time sony's best they used to be on sony's timeline but since they redid the site I no longer can find the photo and info on the company history.

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2015, 6:57 pm 

hello Stuart Polansky,
When I had my business running in Tacoma I used work on alot Phase liner and carver amps I once went to the factory to pick up parts for a customers set and low and behold I met Bob Carver him self.
When great time had that day I regret selling my Phase liner Amp to this day I have alot diffrent brands in my collection from early Pioneer to Marantz to Harmon Kardon old sony stuff to Luxman .
I have of ten grand into my home theater Which uses Marantz av preamp with Halfer and Harmon Kardon amps Also A M&K sub my mains Are JBL.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2015, 9:30 am 

Welcome! Sounds like you have quite the experience and also collection!

Jeff

PostPosted: January 8th, 2015, 2:32 pm 

Hello JDCrae,
yes I also have over 100 Antique tube radios in my collection and 4 or 5 antique tube tv's

PostPosted: January 8th, 2015, 8:14 pm 

Welcome, Richard! We'll have to see your radio museum! :D

Just to warn you, I'm very slow with my projects - I've finished two (pair of speakers and a turntable) and most everyone's seen them already. I'm still playing when I can pry my tail out of the chair. Workroom is in unfinished basement, which is a freezer now. Yep, that's another of my unfinished projects! :oops:

PostPosted: January 8th, 2015, 8:58 pm 

Rich, are you local?