DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: JDCrae Introduction
PostPosted: July 10th, 2014, 3:54 pm 

Wide dispersion does not necessarily translate into wide "sweet spot". Consistent dispersion up and down the frequency range is more likely to do that, but the room acoustics play a big part, too. The SEOS waveguides are specifically designed to help match the dispersion of the woofer and tweeter in the crossover range. Plus, they minimize compression distortion....

IMHO, the tower form factor is going to be easier to integrate into a typical row house living room, especially if it's a shared environment. That said, I think the SEOS waveguide systems that you are considering will do things that are just not possible with other speaker types. Dynamics are highly addictive, and are extremely curtailed in most home audio systems.

See if you can get a demo somewhere of the GR N-3 system that's on your earlier (full) list. I heard some very good things out of a similar speaker at the CAF show three years ago, driven by Onkyo separates.

JDCrae wrote:
Ok, based on that I am thinking those aren't going to be the best for my setup. Small Rodgers Forge Row home, so space is at a premium. If I put them out that far from the wall they would be nearly in the middle of my living room. WAF would definitely go to a 0 pretty quick.

So based on what I am looking for, wide sweet spot- nearly anywhere in the room if possible, 8 ohm load, never dipping below 6 anyway, I have come down to the following 3 speakers. What are everyone's thoughts on which might best deliver what I am looking for ?

the Karma-10 http://www.diysoundgroup.com/karma10-kit.html

Fusion-10, http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide- ... e-kit.html

or the Zaph Audio 2.5 ? http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2. ... -way-pair/

PostPosted: July 11th, 2014, 7:12 am 

Thanks Ferdinand. I am going to see if there is someone close that has a pair to audition. Would be nice to hear something before I build it!

Charles - Sorry if I misunderstood, but why won't a 4 channel amp work to drive the LX Mini's?

My wife's grandmother, bought a really nice HT setup from Grammaphone back in the early 2000's. It is an Integra DTR 5.4, which apparently is good for 85wpc, FTC, all channels driven. It goes to 85/8, 110/6, 165/4. Currently its downstairs collecting dust, along with Definitive technology surround system and sub. I turned it on once, but it has a boatload of features, and I couldn't seem to get much sound out of it. Going to download the manual for it which will help. Going to try to have a more HT setup down there. Think i just need to reset settings and start from scratch with it. The rear surrounds are in wall, so those will be staying down there, but if bringing that receiver upstairs would allow me to power a better set of speakers, I am sure I can link it to my Marantz.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2014, 12:08 pm 

JDCrae wrote:
Charles - Sorry if I misunderstood, but why won't a 4 channel amp work to drive the LX Mini's?

NP -- appologizes that I was unclear. It will work, as in you "can" use a four port amp to drive the LXmini -- the stipulation is that they have the same gain (be indentical outputs). You mentioned that you had a two channel amp (reciever?) already -- do you have another of that same make/model ?

-- Charles

PostPosted: July 11th, 2014, 7:17 pm 

Charles,

I must have missed that the first time. Couldn't figure out the difference on my own so thanks for explaining it. Makes sense to me now.

I have a Marantz 5 channel receiver. I only intend on using the two main channels. Perhaps down the road I will include a center channel, but for now I am more than fine listening to music or watching movies in stereo. I am just low maintenance I guess.

The other reason is the power output of the amp is rated at the two main channels driven. I don't know what the specs are when you utlitize the additional 3 channels, but I am sure it drops substantially.

The Integra Amp downstairs is the one that has equal power output with ALL channels driven according to the manual. I know Integra is known to make pretty nice stuff, not reference or super HiFi, but quality from my limited understanding.

I looked at integrated amps, but knowing that down the road I may want to add a center channel for movies, I wanted to have that ability. I don't have the room for a rack for separates so I had to try to find something that I thought would drive a good pair of speakers for music, and add the center channel when watching movies.

On a side note, I ended up talking with Danny at GR Research for almost an hour on the phone today. Really cool he was willing to take the time to go over lots of things. Felt bad I asked some many questions, probably some stupid ones, but he was very patient. I need to do some more research but I am thinking they may be my first set. Like the idea of the price not being right at the max of my budget so I can have the extra to do a really job with finishes etc. We will see

PostPosted: July 11th, 2014, 8:11 pm 

JDCrae wrote:
On a side note, I ended up talking with Danny at GR Research for almost an hour on the phone today. Really cool he was willing to take the time to go over lots of things. Felt bad I asked some many questions, probably some stupid ones, but he was very patient. I need to do some more research but I am thinking they may be my first set. Like the idea of the price not being right at the max of my budget so I can have the extra to do a really job with finishes etc. We will see

Hey Jeff:
Don't know if you can hold your horses for 2.5 weeks -- I am in the throws of getting these done.
-- Charles

PostPosted: July 11th, 2014, 8:23 pm 

Charles,

More than happy to hold them :)

Its good to have a pause after looking at so many

Thanks again

Jeff