DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It's Great To Be Back
PostPosted: December 14th, 2013, 2:55 pm 

Hello again. Been here before.

Glad to be back.

I've been modifying (destroying vintage?) audio gear since the early seventies. I started with transistors, but was introduced to the wonder of tube gear first by my Dad's Capehart console, a push-pull EL84 12AX7 input amp in which the manufacturer neglected to include one output coupling cap per channel, so one EL84 in each channel never worked. The thing never hurt for power, and had an incredibly focused midrange. It was effectively single ended! Years later. I bought a Pilot SA232 and Dyna PAS-4X for $50. Figured the junk amplifier was useless, and justified the purchase thinking I could sell the Dyna for $40, if I didn't like it, and only be out $10. The amazing Pilot changed my audio direction and has served as a benchmark in many systems. Still have it today, almost 40 years later!

My speaker preferences are usually planar. One of my favorite speakers of all time was the Martin Logan Monolith.I rarely have heard an electrostatic that didn't impress me in some way. I have Magnepans and I have owned just two models of them since 1979.

Joining the club, thanks to an introduction by Charlie Phelps, was a huge leap forward for me. Not only a huge expansion of knowledge, but an introduction to many schools of thought and personal preference in all things audio, but especially speakers. Listening to all sorts of gear and speakers has made me especially aware of my own system's shortcomings. I have a lot to do, to once again be pleased, if not satisfied, with what I hear at home.
I am embarking on a modification program which, if all goes well, will hopefully give me a set of speakers that could be shown at next year's CAF. A LOT of work needs to be done, but I have started accumulating parts (Bohlender Graebener Neo8 midrange drivers, Behriinger DCX2496 crossover as a developmental tool, etc.)

I'll need the club's ears and advice on achieving an integrated and coherent solution. I look forward to our meetings this year. I will be helping in the CAF room, and not just a few hours here and there.

Stuart

PostPosted: December 15th, 2013, 3:35 pm 

Stuart, AJ at http://soundfieldaudio.net uses the Neo8 driver in his designs and would be a good source of information on their implementation. He is a genuinely good guy and could help you with your DIY project.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2013, 3:49 pm 

Thanks KLH007,

I looked at the site. Integrating different driver types is definitely a challenge, looks like AJ does it well.

Should I contact him via the email listed on his website?

Stuart

PostPosted: December 15th, 2013, 4:57 pm 

Stuart, Yes contact him through the website.