DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who Am I?
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2013, 1:22 pm 

I have a great ability to take things apart.
I do not have a great ability to put them back together.
That's more like an eh-bility, as in "Eh....yeah, sometimes...".

I have a great ability to buy parts for projects.
I do not have a great ability to complete those projects, or even start them, for that matter.
Anybody want to buy some parts...?

I have four complete tube power amps at home.
I have power and output transformer sets to build 5 more.

I have NO preamps at home.

I have three sets of speakers.
I can't describe them, or else the game will be over too quickly.

Who am I?

One clue....
I'm not Stuart, since he already posted his bio and gave me the inspiration for this little meme.

Post subject: Re: Who Am I?
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2013, 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

And I ain't sayin' ;)

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2013, 3:38 pm 

And here we have...an honest site admin?
Quick, check the wilds of Virginia for a sparkly unicorn!

[quote="Roscoe Primrose"]And I ain't sayin' ;)[/quote]

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2013, 3:50 pm 
Hmm, my first thought was David Berning, but if I actually wrote that he might get pissed off. Gee, I hope you have a sense of humor David B. I knew it couldn't be Dave Pogue, he doesn't buy amp parts, only equipment and parts for power cords, interconnects, etc. David Vorhis? Not likely, he's published! LOL! "No preamps at home" leaves out Charlie Phelps, but the other obvious "not him" clue is a holy Roman Emperor; Charlie being more of a Greek Parthenon type. Obviously it's not Roscoe, he does have an ability to put things together, usually keeping the magic smoke contained. Usually. Grover Gardener? I think he's to busy making money and keeping one step ahead of Sasquatch and Uni bomber types in the woods up north to even post anything here. John Dahlman? Who knows? Has anyone actually seen John (leader of Ray Gaskins' rhythm section) since last summer? Paul Clarke? Nope, never seen him put together or take apart anything electrical. I think he's way too smart to do that himself. Like Dave Pogue, he has "people" who do that for him. David McGown has shown an annoying tendency to no only finish projects, but make them look better than high end manufacturers do. That son of a bitch. Jay Bala? He may not be able to complete an amp by himself, but he thinks he can, and surely wouldn't admit it if he couldn't. Nope, not Jay.

So, unless I'm missing someone obvious, or someone who rarely participates in club meets, that leaves us with Bruce Normann, Brian Connolly, Joel Merritt, Guy.Riffle (his official name, pronounced Guy dot Riffle, FYI), and Jim Gerfin.

Any one of those last five could be it: rarely producing a finished project for Jay to criticize, all have lots of "parts" at home (and excuses, but I am the king of "excuses"!) and a sense of self-deprecating humor.

Brian Connolly: no reference to Star Trek TOS in his screen name. Now if was "The Squire of Gothos", Blalok, A Kelvin, a Metron or perhaps an Organian, then I'd list him higher. But nope, Brian (Red Shirt) Connolly comes in at #5.

Jim Gerfin: usually not as funny as the poster's wit was. #4 possibility on my list.

Joel Merritt: This is a close one. He is descended from royalty (he told me what a royal PITA his dad is), he has lots of parts, he takes lots of stuff apart, but alas, he has actually completed some stuff and subjected it to the club's scrutiny. He has allowed uncomplimentary pictures of himself to be posted without complaint of chain saw in hand, so has has that sense of humor. Still #3 it is.

Guy.Riffle: Actually, this was my first thought as he has gathered parts for household, race car, electrical and who knows what other projects for as long as I've known him. And that is a very long time indeed. Guy rarely finishes anything. He is truly expert as disassembling. He can reverse engineer like a Chinese spy working for Lockheed Martin. But he did finish that turntable....well, almost, capping it off with a bottom feeder Benz; and those D'Appolitto speakers he built 40 years ago (haha) are still in the "temporary" boxes. The 1967 Lemans still doesn't have the electric fuel pump connected, almost 30 years after being installed in the car. But he does have a preamp, a sense of humor (or else I'd be a smoking hole on the pavement by now) and extremely good builder skills. He is brilliant, talented and a great friend. #2 (runner up, just like in your drag races, eh Mr. Guy?)

Bruce Normann: Really, who else could it be? I though YEARS ago, when I handed him a 6V6 console amp as a project, that he'd shortly be producing an audiophile masterpiece....................tick tock tick tock tick tock.............. The speaker reference helped also. Who else USES bunny boxes on their main system, keeping the ML electrostats for ?????? Bruce would certainly fashion himself as an emperor, he has a well developed sense of humor (I imagine his wife's daily remarks helped with that refinement), a sophisticated and literate sensibility to his writings (that means no cuss words or bathroom references Guy). He does buy stuff (on sale, yard sales, thrift shops, etc) but I am not sure if he has four complete tube amps (at least not working ones). Still, for my money, Ferdinand II = Bruce Normann #1

Stuart

PostPosted: April 24th, 2013, 9:52 am 

That beautiful 76 pre-amp :clap: that David M built is never leaving my place or system, alas, I do have the parts to build about 5 amps or so. At least the iron for sure.

-Joel

PostPosted: April 24th, 2013, 10:11 am 
[quote="rock4016"]That beautiful 76 pre-amp :clap: that David M built is never leaving my place or system, alas, I do have the parts to build about 5 amps or so. At least the iron for sure.

-Joel[/quote]

Oh, I just bet if someone offered you stupid money for it, you'd sell it. But it is beautiful and sounds great. Damn him, he's good.

Stuart

BTW, who is your pick for "Who Am I"?

PostPosted: April 24th, 2013, 10:16 am 

I guess for stupid money I would sell it. But with all the current sources he has in there, I'd probably have to have someone else build me another one, and so I'd have to factor that into the money I got for it!

The European royalty part throws me off, so I don't know? One of the newer members?

PostPosted: April 24th, 2013, 10:20 am 
It occurred to me that Randy Warren is a possibility, and yes, the newer members are wildcards, since we don't know them too well.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2013, 10:44 am 

I am an obvious candidate although I have built an amp from scratch and put things together again occasionally.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2013, 10:51 am 
[quote="TubeDriver"]I am an obvious candidate although I have built an amp from scratch and put things together again occasionally.[/quote]

Is this Mr. Warren?