DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently April 29th, 2024, 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 300Bs in Richmond
PostPosted: April 12th, 2024, 9:42 am 

Dave, Grover,

I modeled up the power supply in Power Supply Designer (PSUD2) just for kicks. It is a full wave rectifier (not bridge) with doubled up plates on the 5U4, and from what I can tell the power transformer taps are 250V-120V-0-120V-250V (note the schematic lists voltage between taps, not the voltage at each tap), Assuming the plate current on each 300Bs of around 85 mA each, plus 15mA for the driver section, I get only around 225V B+ on the plates.

That seems to be a really low operating point, so maybe I am misreading the taps on the transformer. Any case, the current through the 5U4s stays well below limits at the initial charging of filter caps. Now if the voltage is actually higher, (say if the voltage between the first tap and second is 230V, therefore a 350-120-0-120-350 or 700VCT transformer), which is more like I would expect for a 300B amp, the dual rectifier is at the current limit at turn-on for a single cycle. That is probably fine, since the datasheet max transient current is actually much higher than the value used in PSUD (4.6A per plate vs 1.6A in PSUD). So I think the Manley rectifier setup works into the large value caps as designed.

David

Last edited by David McGown on April 12th, 2024, 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2024, 9:44 am 

Dave_in_VA wrote:
Hi,
I just joined on the advice of a fellow on Audiokarma. We had been discussing switching from 5U4GBs to 5AR4s on my Manley 300B SEPP mono blocks.
I'm an old guy still collecting records after way over 50 years. I also like my reel to reel decks. I do listen to CDs when I'm reading so I don't have to get up and turn the record over.

So pretty much tubes, vinyl and tape. I know nothing about streaming.
More later.
Thanks,
Dave

Welcome from Parkville, Maryland. To make a long story short I am a SET/Horn guy who savors vinyl (DS Audio optical) and works constantly to upgrade my CD playback to come close to the vinyl experience.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2024, 9:52 am 

12 watts rated output from a pair of 300Bs in parallel seems low, so maybe the plate voltages are that low...? Seems like a very unusual approach, but there are a lot of unusual things about this amp.
We don't know the resistance of the secondary windings on the power transformer, so that's an estimate in the PSUD model.

David McGown wrote:
Dave, Grover,

I modeled up the power supply in Power Supply Designer (PSUD2) just for kicks. It is a full wave rectifier (not bridge) with doubled up plates on the 5U4, and from what I can tell the power transformer taps are 250V-120V-0-120V-250V (note the schematic lists voltage between taps, not the voltage at each tap), Assuming the plate current on each 300Bs of around 85 mA each, plus 15mA for the driver section, I get only around 225V B+ on the plates.

That seems to be a really low operating point, so maybe I am misreading the taps on the transformer. Any case, the current through the 5U4s stays well below limits at the initial charging of filter caps. Now if the voltage is actually higher, (say if the voltage between the first tap and second is 230V, therefore a 350-120-0-120-350 or 700VCT transformer), which is more like I would expect for a 300B amp, the dual rectifier is at the current limit at turn-on for a single cycle. That is probably fine, since the datasheet max transient current is actually much higher than the value used in PSUD (4.6A per plate vs 1.6A in PSUD). So I think the Manley rectifier setup works into the large value caps as designed.

David

PostPosted: April 12th, 2024, 11:06 am 

I used the default 33 ohm power transformer resistance in PSUD2 , but I did play around with dropping the resistance to 25 ohms, which increased the voltage by a couple of volts. The 100 ohm resistor between the PT CT and ground basically adds additional primary resistance, much more than the transformer primary and reflected secondary resistance itself.

I wonder if Manley originally designed this amp for 2A3s, except of course for the filament winding (a minor change). In fact. for not much more complication, one could have a convertible 2A3/300B filament arrangement using a dual secondary filament transformer. Two 2.5V/1.25A supplies could be connected in series for a 300B and in parallel for a 2A3.

David

PostPosted: April 12th, 2024, 11:11 am 
Site Admin

Cary had a SET monoblock that you could just swap 300Bs and 2A3s, 7.5vct with a 1ohm resistor in each leg…

Roscoe

PostPosted: April 12th, 2024, 11:30 am 

Like I mentioned, I'm not a tech and most of what you guys discuss is above my head.
But keep in mind that the power transformer is a special one designed/wound in house at Manley so that it can operate in both single ended and push-pull.
(Unless I mixed up the power and the output transformers.)

The amps do sound very nice and so far I'm preferring them single ended with no feedback, but that's whatI'm most familiar with.
My speakers are Cornwall IVs by the way.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2024, 12:06 pm 

David McGown wrote:
Dave, Grover,

David

Their web site says it's a full-wave bridge. Maybe it's not clear on the schematic (I don't know where that comes from or or exactly what version it is) but they also claim they're not running the 300Bs terribly in order hard to extend their life, so a plate voltage of 350 or less seems plausibe. It's also interesting that they use an output transformer with very large inductance to make up for the traditional gap in SE outputs.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2024, 12:07 pm 

Dave_in_VA wrote:
Like I mentioned, I'm not a tech and most of what you guys discuss is above my head.
But keep in mind that the power transformer is a special one designed/wound in house at Manley so that it can operate in both single ended and push-pull.
(Unless I mixed up the power and the output transformers.)

The amps do sound very nice and so far I'm preferring them single ended with no feedback, but that's whatI'm most familiar with.
My speakers are Cornwall IVs by the way.

I'm sure they're lovely. Sounds like they've been a good investment for you!

PostPosted: April 12th, 2024, 12:18 pm 

I'm too old to have investments ;-)

PostPosted: April 12th, 2024, 8:42 pm 

Welcome, Dave!

I'll try to keep you and David straight in the coming months! :shock: