DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Introduction
PostPosted: April 20th, 2013, 1:22 pm 
Roscoe says I have to do this so here goes:

Hi boys and girls! My name is Stuart. I am (kind of a) grown up. But I like my toys just like you. The difference is, my toys are very dangerous and sometimes scary!!

Instead of nice, safe toys like Buzz Lightyear dolls, Etch-a-Sketch, Nerf guns and pretend internet friends, I like to play with electric wiring at voltages that will easily kill you; big and heavy cars with engines making incredible power (while consuming vast quantities of fuel) which are ignited by systems using extremely high voltages which, under the right (wrong?) circumstances, can kill you or at least stop your heart; and I also like to play with antique music reproduction equipment which, uses vacuum tubes and extremely high voltages which can kill you.

Notice a recurring theme here boys and girls? I have noticed one. You may have seen a movie, late at night when you were supposed to be sleeping, but mom and dad closed their bedroom door (what's up with that?) and you and your little brother went down to the basement and turned the sound on the TV down really low! DEATH WISH!

So that's me folks. Seems like death wish to others. I don't see it that way, I'm just having fun!

Oh, one other thing: to earn money so I can buy lots of toys, drink and eat (in that order), I have a job. I am an electrician. I work with electricity that, well, you know the story.

I used to fly airplanes, but my money ran out. If I ever find another big pile of money, look out, that will be me over your head, buzzing around and loving life!

Stuart

Post subject: Introduction of cport
PostPosted: December 7th, 2013, 12:30 pm 

High Transconductance wrote:
Roscoe says I have to do this

As Roscoe is culling the non-compliant, I thought I had better get to it (!) and introduce myself. I am Charles Port, living out in Annapolis, MD, and I am lifelong (started at 13) Music lover.

Some years back, I moved to Brazil, and I could not take my Thiel 7.2's with me, due to the heavy importation taxes that Brazil has. So I sold all, and set about learning to build loudspeakers. Lucky for me, Seigfried Linkwitz created his http://www.linkwitzlab.com site with all sorts of good information. This, plus old Speaker Builder rags, kept me occupied for a good long while, and I built all sorts of acoustic suspension and open-baffle designs, bringing hoards of drivers back to Sao Paulo whenever I landed in the States [Note: TSA "always" opens your bag when they encounter a loudspeaker, and sometimes, you have some explaining to do]. Eventually, I moved back to the good old USofA, dragging my Brazilian wife back with me.

In the end, I acquiesced to "true genius" and am now VERY happy listening to Siegfried Linkwitz's LX521 loudspeakers. I use 2x Pass Lab X.150's for the upper arrays, and a Bryston SST 2B for the bass bins. Lots of mods, and (to mine own tastes) the closest I have ever been to a sense of a live performance -- in my basement. Finally, I can start listening, and stop fiddling.

I listen to Jazz and Classical, and a whole lot of other things. I guess your standard 'audiophile' mix .....

Find out more at my "audio page" RESFREQ.

Oneizes/twoizes visits are welcome on Weekends, but no "whole heard events" (the house would break).... -- email me at cport@rawbw.com

-- Charles