DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 15th, 2023, 5:37 pm 

Hello! I’m from silver spring! I was introduced to these forums by someone from audiokarma, and I hope to use these forums a lot. I wouldn’t consider myself a DIY person but I have repaired a set of 4301’s, and I am planning on buying a ST-35. I am looking forward to talking to people here, and learning more about tube Audio.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2023, 10:05 pm 

Yeeterkeeter wrote:
Hello! I’m from silver spring! I was introduced to these forums by someone from audiokarma, and I hope to use these forums a lot. I wouldn’t consider myself a DIY person but I have repaired a set of 4301’s, and I am planning on buying a ST-35. I am looking forward to talking to people here, and learning more about tube Audio.

Hello from Parkville, MD.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2023, 11:05 pm 

Yeeterkeeter wrote:

That would be me! ;-) Our new member basically wondered "what's so special about tubes," which engendered quit a discussion, as you can imagine! He's quite serious about investigating our hobby, and it would be great if someone could invite him along to hear some nice tube systems.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2023, 11:32 pm 

Grover Gardner wrote:
Yeeterkeeter wrote:

That would be me! ;-) Our new member basically wondered "what's so special about tubes," which engendered quit a discussion, as you can imagine! He's quite serious about investigating our hobby, and it would be great if someone could invite him along to hear some nice tube systems.

I'm game if wants drive up to Parkville.

Attachments:
Cary_805C_Mk.2_SET_Amps._04_27_21.jpg
Cary_805C_Mk.2_SET_Amps._04_27_21.jpg [ 687.95 KiB | Viewed 13868 times ]

PostPosted: September 16th, 2023, 1:59 pm 

Went to joes record shop today, had a good time.

Attachments:
File comment: Went to Joes record shop in silver spring, got myself some cassettes and an Oscar Peterson record. I like cassettes since they’re cheap. The record was half of the purchase, so that was nice. Almost bought a 7” ELO record, but decided against it.
99AD66B0-85D0-4A49-B8C5-8D99AD9F832C.jpeg
99AD66B0-85D0-4A49-B8C5-8D99AD9F832C.jpeg [ 1.72 MiB | Viewed 13837 times ]

PostPosted: September 16th, 2023, 11:01 pm 

Welcome!

I am also from Silver Spring (mailing address) but live up in the Layhill/Glenmont area. If you would like to hear tube amplifiers, particularily DIY, I have a house full of them. Grover is a friend who helped get me interested in this back, say 25 years ago or so. I could definitely help you along the path of DIY tube amp or preamp construction, and answer any questions or help you with any problems you might have.

David

PostPosted: September 17th, 2023, 11:17 am 

Thanks for the offer. Right now I am working on getting an ST-35 for myself, but I plan on maybe doing on of those radio kits. I’ll see about taking up your offer in the near future, but right now I’m just very busy

PostPosted: September 19th, 2023, 9:06 am 

David McGown wrote:
Welcome!

I am also from Silver Spring (mailing address) but live up in the Layhill/Glenmont area. If you would like to hear tube amplifiers, particularly DIY, I have a house full of them. Grover is a friend who helped get me interested in this back, say 25 years ago or so. I could definitely help you along the path of DIY tube amp or preamp construction, and answer any questions or help you with any problems you might have.

David

Welcome to the group Mr. Yeeterkeeter.

While we are DIY guys, and lots of us use tube amps, there is probably no better place to go to listen to them than David McGown's. He has been prolific in his builds and has a large assortment of completed amps on hand. In addition, his system is superb, one of the best in the club. so amplifier differences are readily discerned. Plus, David is a smart and hospitable guy. You'll really like the visit.

As they say (or used to say) on eBay, "Highly Recommended".

Stuart

Attachment:
amp.png
amp.png [ 972.97 KiB | Viewed 13686 times ]

Attachments:
amps.png
amps.png [ 765.7 KiB | Viewed 13686 times ]

PostPosted: September 19th, 2023, 9:17 am 

Stuart Polansky wrote:
David McGown wrote:
Welcome!

I am also from Silver Spring (mailing address) but live up in the Layhill/Glenmont area. If you would like to hear tube amplifiers, particularly DIY, I have a house full of them. Grover is a friend who helped get me interested in this back, say 25 years ago or so. I could definitely help you along the path of DIY tube amp or preamp construction, and answer any questions or help you with any problems you might have.

David

Welcome to the group Mr. Yeeterkeeter.

While we are DIY guys, and lots of us use tube amps, there is probably no better place to go to listen to them than David McGown's. He has been prolific in his builds and has a large assortment of completed amps on hand. In addition, his system is superb, one of the best in the club. so amplifier differences are readily discerned. Plus, David is a smart and hospitable guy. You'll really like the visit.

As they say (or used to say) on eBay, "Highly Recommended".

Stuart

Attachment:
amp.png

Alright, that’s good to know. Right now, I don’t exactly have the time right now, with school and work, but once I get an opening in my schedule, I will make sure to swing by to get a listen

PostPosted: September 19th, 2023, 9:26 am 

I’m very glad to be a new addition to the rather small tube audio community in this area. I will make sure to check out others setups in this area when get the chance, to widen my perspective