Switch to full style
New users MUST post an introduction here to gain full membership
Post a reply

Hi From Maryland!

September 6th, 2020, 11:30 am

Hi All! I am fairly new to the audio gear hobby but want to learn much more about repairing and upgrading my own gear. I have acquired two pairs of Heathkit Monos, SP-2 preamp, and a Scott LK-48/tuner. Looking to learn how to repair/upgrade them. Thanks in advance!

D.

Re: Hi From Maryland!

September 6th, 2020, 1:02 pm

Welcome! You might be in the right place ;)

Roscoe

September 6th, 2020, 1:23 pm

desron65 wrote:Hi All! I am fairly new to the audio gear hobby but want to learn much more about repairing and upgrading my own gear. I have acquired two pairs of Heathkit Monos, SP-2 preamp, and a Scott LK-48/tuner. Looking to learn how to repair/upgrade them. Thanks in advance!

D.

Welcome from Parkville, MD! My Avatar name says it all -- SoundMods. I mostly do for myself, but have done mods for friends that don't have the skills to do it themselves. The Heathkit amps. are first-rate and candidates for "gold-plating" in terms of modern parts and methods. The pre-amp? Not so much unless you want to totally rebuild it from scratch. The Scott tuner is old-school textbook tuner design -- it doesn't get any better than that. The multi-plex and audio sections can be improved greatly. I have a 50-year-old McIntosh MR-67 tuner that I "hot-rodded" and it is only as good as the FM station that I tune to. And there are some good ones out there.

Coaching works for me so questions are welcome.

Cheers!

September 6th, 2020, 1:56 pm

welcome from Baltimore

September 6th, 2020, 8:42 pm

Thanks all! It's funny, I acquired the gear to listen to, see which one I liked because I heard great things about the Heathkits and Scott. So, they came available locally and quickly learned that people aren't as honest as they should be. Lessons learned. I usually like to keep things original but am leaning towards modding the W4-AMs, and keeping?/selling? off the other stuff but really am open to options. Thanks for the support, I'll try to keep the noob questions down to a minimum.
Post a reply