Post subject: new member
PostPosted: May 2nd, 2018, 9:21 am 

Hi,

Just joined.

Larry Stanford

Post subject: Re: new member
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2018, 6:24 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome. How about telling us a little about your interests in audio/diy?

Roscoe

PostPosted: May 4th, 2018, 8:55 am 

Roscoe Primrose wrote:
Welcome. How about telling us a little about your interests in audio/diy?

Roscoe

Sure. I've been in the hobby/avocation since building Dynakits in the late '60's. Very much into music/audio since as long as I remember. My tastes in music are eclectic - everything from rock (as a child of the '60's, have to love that!) to classical to jazz. Go to as many performances at the Strathmore as time/resources permit (Beethoven Pastoral Symphony and Prokofiev Violin Concerto this Saturday). Music reproduction tastes lean toward Magnepans. I buy something else and always end up back with Maggies. Very much into turntables. I have 3 active systems with 7 turntables working at the present time. I really don't know much about DIY, but love to read and learn.

Larry Stanford

PostPosted: May 4th, 2018, 9:57 am 

So what turntables do you have? Just curious.

ray

PostPosted: May 4th, 2018, 10:14 am 

ratbagp wrote:

ray

One system has only one. A Dual 505-2 with a Pickering XV-15 cartridge. Another system has a Technics SL1200 MkII with a SME Type II Improved tonearm with a Grace F9/SoundSmith Ruby OCL stylus, a Dual 1219 with a Shure V15 Type III and a JICO SAS stylus, and a Bryston BLP-1 with a Dynavector 2x20. A third system has a Vinyl Nirvana-modified Thorens TD160 Super with a SME M2-9 tonearm and a Ortofon Quintet Black cartridge, a Dual CS5000 with an Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge (or a Signet TK7Ea depending on my mood), and a Vinyl Nirvana-modified Thorens TD125 MkII with a SME M2-9 tonearm and a Denon DL103R with a boron cantilever and a line contact stylus. I have a few other turntables that I am working on/don't have enough inputs/phono preamps for - an AR XA turntable from the 60's with a stock tonearm and a modified Thorens TD160 Super with a Grace G707 MkII tonearm.

Larry Stanford

Last edited by LarryRS on May 4th, 2018, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2018, 5:58 pm 

I'm impressed. That's more decent turntables than I have. :shock: I only have four working ones to change out in one system. You are fortunate.

Dave :mrgreen:

PostPosted: May 7th, 2018, 1:19 pm 

Nice collection of tables. I also have a Thorens 160 Super with Grace 707 (Denon 301 II) and it is a fun little table! I think the M2-9 is underrated/overlooked, it sounds great on a TD124.

LarryRS wrote:
ratbagp wrote:

ray

One system has only one. A Dual 505-2 with a Pickering XV-15 cartridge. Another system has a Technics SL1200 MkII with a SME Type II Improved tonearm with a Grace F9/SoundSmith Ruby OCL stylus, a Dual 1219 with a Shure V15 Type III and a JICO SAS stylus, and a Bryston BLP-1 with a Dynavector 2x20. A third system has a Vinyl Nirvana-modified Thorens TD160 Super with a SME M2-9 tonearm and a Ortofon Quintet Black cartridge, a Dual CS5000 with an Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge (or a Signet TK7Ea depending on my mood), and a Vinyl Nirvana-modified Thorens TD125 MkII with a SME M2-9 tonearm and a Denon DL103R with a boron cantilever and a line contact stylus. I have a few other turntables that I am working on/don't have enough inputs/phono preamps for - an AR XA turntable from the 60's with a stock tonearm and a modified Thorens TD160 Super with a Grace G707 MkII tonearm.

Larry Stanford

PostPosted: May 7th, 2018, 5:47 pm 

TubeDriver wrote:
Nice collection of tables. I also have a Thorens 160 Super with Grace 707 (Denon 301 II) and it is a fun little table! I think the M2-9 is underrated/overlooked, it sounds great on a TD124.

LarryRS wrote:
ratbagp wrote:

ray

Larry Stanford

Yes, I think the M2-9 is a fine tonearm - especially for the price. Build quality, as is true for all SME products I've owned is superb.

PostPosted: May 9th, 2018, 3:12 pm 

Let me add my greetings, too!

There are many levels of DIY, and I'd bet you could teach me a lot about turntables. Who knows, you might get the bug and decide to build something to better your turntable performance (and save money in the long run?)

Again, Welcome to the asylum!

PostPosted: May 9th, 2018, 4:16 pm 

Guy wrote:
Let me add my greetings, too!

There are many levels of DIY, and I'd bet you could teach me a lot about turntables. Who knows, you might get the bug and decide to build something to better your turntable performance (and save money in the long run?)

Again, Welcome to the asylum!

Actually, I'm thinking about building a SUT for my Denon 103R. Just haven't figured out how to yet (e.g., which transformers to use, what other parts are needed, etc.). Thanks for the welcome!