DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 20th, 2018, 3:37 am 

Hi all DC Audio DIY people. I was linked by David Berning for this nice forum. We meet at the Axpona hifi Show 2018. I use to develop speaker drivers for Vifa in Denmark, when it was a proud Danish company, later GamuT Audio, and then a few years at Scan SPeak R&D department in Denmark. Since the age of 13-14 I have build speakers and amplifiers, like the rest of you, I can stop it!! Since 2011 I have been out of the Audio industry, and been doing industrial electronics instead. It is kind of nice, not working with you spare time interest, since customers never want you to work on what you really burn for you self, anyway. At the Axpona show I helped former colleges at the SB Acoustics room, All international sales, and R&D people at SB Acoustics are former Scan Speak R&D people, and they are all my friends.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2018, 10:10 am 

Hello and welcome! That is an impressive background in driver design!

Hylle wrote:
Hi all DC Audio DIY people. I was linked by David Berning for this nice forum. We meet at the Axpona hifi Show 2018. I use to develop speaker drivers for Vifa in Denmark, when it was a proud Danish company, later GamuT Audio, and then a few years at Scan SPeak R&D department in Denmark. Since the age of 13-14 I have build speakers and amplifiers, like the rest of you, I can stop it!! Since 2011 I have been out of the Audio industry, and been doing industrial electronics instead. It is kind of nice, not working with you spare time interest, since customers never want you to work on what you really burn for you self, anyway. At the Axpona show I helped former colleges at the SB Acoustics room, All international sales, and R&D people at SB Acoustics are former Scan Speak R&D people, and they are all my friends.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2018, 10:40 am 

Welcome to the group. I don't know if David mentioned the speakers I built using the SB Acoustics Satori Egyptian papyrus mid and Beryllium dome tweeter. They are great drivers. The construction project will be in three issues of audioXpress magazine starting with the September speaker issue.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2018, 4:40 pm 

Thank you both. Good to hear that you have learned about the Satori line qualities. I find them great too. SB Acoustics have a kit speaker called : ARA It is with the exact same drivers, we showed them at Axpone, and they were very well received. It is fantastic speakers I hope you can improve that performance even further, then you will have a really unique speaker. ( No I did not hear about it from David)

PostPosted: April 21st, 2018, 5:09 pm 

Here is a photo of the finished speaker. The Ara has the same midrange but what I built had the TW29N Beryllium dome tweeter, not the ring radiator.

Attachments:
Final combined angled.jpg
Final combined angled.jpg [ 1.47 MiB | Viewed 13666 times ]

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2018, 2:21 am 

Very nice speakers! What are the woofers? The SB Acoustics ARA you can have with an upgrade for the Berylium tweeter now.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2018, 9:17 am 

The woofers are Dayton Audio 12 drivers from the HO series. I chose them for several reasons. First, the VAS is fairly low which allows them to work well in a medium sized enclosure. They achieve that VAS and at the same time low Fs by having a high moving mass and low compliance. That usually results in low sensitivity but in this case the very high BL of nearly 27 TM results in reasonable sensitivity especially considering that two are used in parallel resulting in a sensitivity slightly over 90 dB at 2.83 volts. I'm including a link to the driver page.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-au ... r--295-467

It is good to hear that the beryllium tweeter is offered in the ARA kit. I'm assuming the crossover is changed in that case as the sensitivity of the beryllium tweeter is higher than the ring radiator version according to the spec sheets.