Switch to full style
New users MUST post an introduction here to gain full membership
Post a reply

Introduction

April 17th, 2018, 8:27 pm

Greetings,

Thanks for letting me join. I'm new here, but not to audio. Was a budding audiophile and musician since age 12 (back in the stone age). Still active at both at age 62. I've been a member in several forums and groops. I got a look at some of the things going on here at a facebook site and thought it'd be nice to visit here a lot.
I'm both a vinyl and tube junky, as well as a DIY'er. I'll post some pics at a later date. Right now, I have some reading to do.

Dave :mrgreen:

Re: Introduction

April 17th, 2018, 10:37 pm

Cheers!

April 18th, 2018, 8:37 am

Great group with lots of knowledge. And, Roscoe makes killer brisket.

April 18th, 2018, 8:41 am

hurdy_gurdyman wrote:Greetings,

I'm both a vinyl and tube junky...

My condolences, but welcome anyway!

April 18th, 2018, 12:28 pm

hurdy_gurdyman wrote:Greetings,

Thanks for letting me join. I'm new here, but not to audio. Was a budding audiophile and musician since age 12 (back in the stone age). Still active at both at age 62. I've been a member in several forums and groops. I got a look at some of the things going on here at a facebook site and thought it'd be nice to visit here a lot.
I'm both a vinyl and tube junky, as well as a DIY'er. I'll post some pics at a later date. Right now, I have some reading to do.

That fact that you know what a Hurdy Gurdy is says a lot. :D

April 18th, 2018, 2:18 pm

I have built 10 hurdy-gurdies so far. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm here to mostly learn, but if the right topic comes up, I'll chime in.

April 18th, 2018, 2:45 pm

hurdy_gurdyman wrote:I have built 10 hurdy-gurdies so far. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm here to mostly learn, but if the right topic comes up, I'll chime in.

Could you post a picture of one of your Hurdy Gurdies?

April 19th, 2018, 1:29 am

The hurdy_gurdy man, Tallships 2013.jpg

April 19th, 2018, 9:18 am

hurdy_gurdyman wrote:
The hurdy_gurdy man, Tallships 2013.jpg

NICE! I had a late audio buddy whose claim to fame was designing from scratch (no kits) reproductions of vintage instruments. He did a Harpsichord, two Viola De Gambas, two Cellos, a couple of Hurdy Gurdies, and a bunch of bows that found their way into the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra.

I helped him with a Viola to learn how its done. WOW! A lot of work -- a lot of detail! I miss the guy. I met him when I did recordings for the Baltimore Symphonet. He played Clarinet, Oboe, and Bassoon as an extension of his hobby activities.

April 19th, 2018, 11:16 am

IMGP6615-First-Lab80-1+1EV,5000K-sc.jpg
ROK-crop-1-sc.jpg
You're friend sounds like an interesting guy. I built all my instruments from scratch. All were intended as folk instruments. They sound good but have a less sophisticated look than one that is designed for the symphony. Besides the hurdy-gurdies, I've built 5-string banjos, mountain dulcimers, Irish bouzoukis, Scottish smallpipes and Irish bodhrans. I play them all, too. I guess music is just a big part of me. I started building speaker enclosures when I was around 16 years old. I couldn't afford the ones I wanted, so I built similar ones. It was hit and miss for a while, but ole' Thiel and Small came to the rescue. Now days I'm back to the beginning, having been an open baffle fanatic since 2002. Still experimenting with those.
I also repair and modify tube amps. Also love old idler wheel turntables, of which I have several. Here's a couple I have pictures of.

Dave
Post a reply