Switch to full style
A place for discussion of general audio, music and related topics.
Post a reply

Re: New Cartridge brake-in deadly

January 2nd, 2018, 11:00 pm

Any way you can load the phono input down to 15K or so. That "should" improve things by getting the right impedance. I find a 1:20 transformer into 47k phono input works well with the 103R. But you might have other issues in play.

David

January 3rd, 2018, 6:43 am

My SUT is adjustable either 1:10 or 1:20. My phono stage has 54db gain and at 1:20 it seems to exaggerate the problematic sound.
Anyway I just have to fight through the 50 hour break-in period, which was just the point of this thread.
I am only about 20% in at this point.

I was just making a statement that how painful the break-in period is and is one that just has to be gone through. That is all I was trying to say and apologize for not making that clear.

January 3rd, 2018, 9:08 am

This is a good case for having an old automatic turntable/changer around for cartridge break-in. Just put on a burner record and let it go for a couple of days on auto-repeat.

David

January 3rd, 2018, 4:43 pm

I have a test record that has some tracks for testing resonance, with tracks running from 15hz on down to 2hz. I suppose that would be a good break in exercise

January 3rd, 2018, 4:49 pm

Pelliott321 wrote:I have a test record that has some tracks for testing resonance, with tracks running from 15hz on down to 2hz. I suppose that would be a good break in exercise

Unless you plan to use it as a test record in the future, then you might not want to have the wear on the test record. I've got some old kids Disney records I use for such purposes (one of them is my "dust cover").

Roscoe

January 7th, 2018, 12:37 pm

I am into burn-in about 10 albums. Either I am getting use to the sound or its getting better.
I still keep the volume down and let albums play as I do other chores.

January 7th, 2018, 12:42 pm

Pelliott321 wrote:I am into burn-in about 10 albums. Either I am getting use to the sound or its getting better.
I still keep the volume down and let albums play as I do other chores.

And do I dare ask? What are you using to connect the turntable to your transformer and transformer to your preamp?

January 7th, 2018, 1:08 pm

Walt was concerned that I had purchased this cartridge on ebay and got a counterfeit one
the last pic is cropped from a photo from Denon's website
the other photos are close-ups of mine
So I think I got the real thing
Attachments
denonc_SM.jpg
denonb_sm.jpg
goop1c.jpg
goop1c.jpg (85.34 KiB) Viewed 16639 times

January 7th, 2018, 1:14 pm

I am not a vinyl fanatic, but I am curious. Does any of you have a laser phono cartridge -

http://www.ds-audio-w.biz/?page_id=39

or going back to the days of mono a Weather's FM cartridge?

http://www.psaudio.com/article/weathers/

January 7th, 2018, 2:05 pm

Pelliott321 wrote:Walt was concerned that I had purchased this cartridge on ebay and got a counterfeit one
the last pic is cropped from a photo from Denon's website
the other photos are close-ups of mine
So I think I got the real thing

YUP! Paul has a genuine Denon cartridge in an aftermarket body. But beware! Just everything we hold dear is being counterfeited. OUCH!
Post a reply