DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hypersonic Effect
PostPosted: December 10th, 2017, 7:08 pm 

I know my hearing limit is now just 10k but can hear a big difference when I add an extra tweeter that 2nd order xover comes in at 14k on top of the Quad 57. I do not like it but I do hear it.

PostPosted: December 10th, 2017, 7:59 pm 

What you are talking about is the brickwall filter used in the recording process. In the playback process, oversampling can reduce the sharp slope needed to filter out the sharp data steps during the D to A conversion. You will note that I did say DACs not ADCs. The two originators of CD, Phillips and Sony took different paths in implementation. With the limited processing power available then, Phillips chose to use only 14 bits but oversample while Sony used the 16 bits and not oversample. As a result, the output filters were sharper on the Sony. Many people felt the Phillips player sounded better. There was no increase in the higher frequency content because it was not there in the beginning, but there were fewer distortion products caused by the sharp filters. So, as far as filter slopes in DACs are concerned, the Red Book standard is not a problem at this point in playback because as I said most modern DACs over sample many times and can use lower slope filters.

PostPosted: December 10th, 2017, 8:19 pm 

Upsampling increases the number samples (interpolations) within the redbook source material. There is no gaurantee the the resulting analog waveform would look closer to original recording, it just looks slightly different from the analog waveform reconstructed with 44.1k samples. 96kHz sampling filter is slightly better than 44.1kHz filter, but not by much.

Last edited by Cogito on December 11th, 2017, 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: December 10th, 2017, 9:52 pm 

Hypersonic, gotta love it. So it stands to reason that the horn guys are hornysonic? Not that you can connect the dots or anything like that.

PostPosted: December 11th, 2017, 7:28 pm 

HAL wrote:
I have taken 1/4" tape and analyzed the response and there is audio signal out to 30KHz+. Used a 96KHz sample rate A/D and easily seen with an FFT analysis.

There's Life Above 20 Kilohertz!
A Survey of Musical Instrument Spectra to 102.4 KHz
http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~boyk/spectra/spectra.htm

PostPosted: December 12th, 2017, 10:47 am 

Great...now I have to buy a positron emission tomography rig to find out if I like my system.

I think I'll cheap out and get the Dayton Audio model.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2017, 10:58 am 

PocketCLIO is better! :)

PostPosted: December 12th, 2017, 2:16 pm 

I just ordered a new DAC on ebay that will do DSD so I will be able to do some DSD listening. It uses the new XMOS XU208 USB interface and the new AK4490EQ chip. Here is the link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263051265833

Tom

PostPosted: December 12th, 2017, 2:26 pm 

Did you get the 'weaked' edition?

'We specially offer weaked edition for audiophiles, The original design is not the best, The sound is a little harsh/dry and noisy,Also bad low frequency extention, It is a typical "digital" sound,It may suit some guys but not senior audiophiles, We are experienced in tweaking audio products as we know sound character of many components,We are the only one who provide the service and product,It is impossible for other seller's, Pls choose the edition you want.'

ray

PostPosted: December 12th, 2017, 2:36 pm 

tomp wrote:
I just ordered a new DAC on ebay that will do DSD so I will be able to do some DSD listening. It uses the new XMOS XU208 USB interface and the new AK4490EQ chip. Here is the link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263051265833

Tom

You might want to look into your music player choice. To realize the benefits of DSD, you would need DSD Direct input. When I was using Daphile, it was not capable of DSD Direct. You might want to try foobar2000 instead.