DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ripping SACDs....
PostPosted: November 27th, 2017, 7:34 pm 
Site Admin

For a long time, the only way to rip SACDs was with an OLD PS3 that had never had the firmware upgraded. These PS3s are getting fairly hard to find, and they were never very robust to begin with... Talking with DaveR at CAF this year, I learned that there were some Oppo SACD capable players that could also do SACD ripping. After some further research on the web, I learned that a few of the Oppo players (and players based on the Oppos) and a few Pioneer players could be used for SACD ripping without having to even mod the player, just boot the play up with a USB stick with some specific software plugged in.

The basic info for this can be found here: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/foru ... -its-true/ but that's a 102 page thread, so I'll try to distill the info down as best I can.... I bought a Pioneer BDP-80FD player, which I believe is already discontinued, but Best Buy has them for $300 with free shipping. The info I'm going to present is based only on my experience with the BDP-80FD, perhaps DaveR will chime in on the Oppo side of things...

One of the links in the first post in the link above will point you to: https://www.dropbox.com/s/13mq5pihw0eno ... D.txt?dl=0 which is good for how to setup your BDP-80FD to make it easiest to use for ripping.

What you'll need to download is:
1. The files that need to go in the Autoscript folder on the USB stick you're going to need to create. These files can be downloaded here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1yl8cffq273eb ... BDP160.zip
2. The text file linked above tells you how to use the command line utility sacd_extract on Windows to extract an ISO, but I'm not going to recommend that as many of the music player applications can't read ISO files. Foobar2000 & Jriver can, MPD based players can't, don't know either way on other applications. Instead, you can rip directly to Sony DSF format if you download ISO2DSD here: http://www.sonore.us/iso2dsd.html which is available for Windows, Linux & Mac. I can confirm that it works with the BDP-80FD on both Windows & Linux.

You'll need the SACD player and the PC you want to use to be on the same network for this to work, WiFi will work, but wired connectivity on both ends will be faster, although the BDP-80FD only has a 10/100 Ethernet connection. If you setup the SACD player with a static address, you won't have to figure out it's address every time you want to use it. Follow the instructions in the text file linked above to create the USB stick, put the USB stick in the BDP-80FD and power it on. Wait a few seconds and the drawer will open. Put the SACD in and close the drawer, wait a couple minutes, fire up ISO2DSD, select Server Input at the top, put in the IP address of the SACD player. I recommend setting output mode to Sony DSF as that'll tag the files with the metadata from the SACD. Then click the Execute button. If everything is working, the Execute button will stay grayed out, and 15 seconds or so later some text will appear in the bottom of the ISO2DSD window telling you what it's doing. If the Execute button doesn't stay grayed out, that means it can't find your SACD player, which probably means you didn't do the USB stick correctly. With my wired connection, it takes about 20 minutes to do an SACD, but it varies as the amount of data on the discs is highly variable. ISO2DSD will put the ripped files in the same directory it's in, so make sure you have enough space available. At least with the BDP-80FD, you don't need to reboot or restart ISO2DSD between rips, just eject the first disc and insert another one, wait a couple minutes, and you're good to go.

Roscoe

Will rip SACDs for beer :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Post subject: Re: Ripping SACDs....
PostPosted: November 27th, 2017, 8:39 pm 

All true. If you have any questions after you get one of the platforms let me know. I have a new Pioneer that does it that I don't need, if you want it you can have it for what I paid for it - $283. I also have a mint PS3 that works if you're interested.