DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2013, 3:16 pm 
Site Admin

TubeDriver wrote:
It is odd that monoblocks would fail at the same time. I wonder about a power surge that shorted a small cap across H and Neutral or maybe fried the SS rectification?

Exactly what I was thinking.... :clap:

Roscoe

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2013, 3:17 pm 

I suspect a rectifier diode has shorted, ironically in each one. I am guessing this because they blow the fuse even if the tubes are not installed if I understand you, bigthinker, correctly. Perhaps a line surge during a storm took them out?

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2013, 3:22 pm 

TubeDriver wrote:
It is odd that monoblocks would fail at the same time. I wonder about a power surge that shorted a small cap across H and Neutral or maybe fried the SS rectification?

Looking at the photo, it is not clear if there is a cap between hot and neutral at the IEC, though I think I can make out a dark disc shape below the wiring. I agree that it is highly unusual for both units to fail in the same way at the same time, and an external event such as a power surge would be a logical cause.

David

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2013, 3:30 pm 

David McGown wrote:
TubeDriver wrote:

Looking at the photo, it is not clear if there is a cap between hot and neutral at the IEC, though I think I can make out a dark disc shape below the wiring. I agree that it is highly unusual for both units to fail in the same way at the same time, and an external event such as a power surge would be a logical cause.

David

I also noticed that disc shape near the AC input wiring. Could be a small value, cheap ceramic cap?

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2013, 3:35 pm 

TubeDriver wrote:
David McGown wrote:
TubeDriver wrote:

David

I also noticed that disc shape near the AC input wiring. Could be a small value, cheap ceramic cap?

That is what I suspect. The only problem is that if they shorted, they should take the breaker with them when plugged in. So it kind of rules that out as a possibility, since the fuse blows when turned on.

David

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2013, 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

David McGown wrote:
That is what I suspect. The only problem is that if they shorted, they should take the breaker with them when plugged in. So it kind of rules that out as a possibility, since the fuse blows when turned on.

David

Unless, and it's hard to tell from the picture, it's got one of those IEC receptacles with the fuse-holder built-in.... :confusion-confused: Need more :banana-gotpics:

Roscoe

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2013, 3:57 pm 

Hate to stick my nose into these things, but..... Safe to assume both are correctly connected to a speaker load without any shorts in the wiring?

Jim

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2013, 5:24 pm 

is it safe to assume that the poster does not have much electronics experience? If so, someone more knowledgeable may need to look at these...

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2013, 5:42 pm 
Site Admin

randy warren wrote:
is it safe to assume that the poster does not have much electronics experience? If so, someone more knowledgeable may need to look at these...

Probably. Patrick - I should be available pretty much any time Sat, and Sun after about 1PM if you want to make the trek all the way out here...

Roscoe

Last edited by Roscoe Primrose on August 2nd, 2013, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
typo

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2013, 6:31 pm 

I appreciate all the response to this post. I do not have a lot of experience but I do own an Ohm meter, so I can respond to some of your recommendations. I was thinking it was the mains transformer. If someone knows of a reputable place to get them repaired or knows for certain how to repair this, please let me know.

Again, thanks for all the positive suggestions and thoughts on this problem.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next