Switch to full style
A place for discussion of general audio, music and related topics.
Post a reply

Re: PCM vs DSD

December 6th, 2017, 12:57 pm

Sonore has free ISO to DSD converter.

http://www.sonore.us/iso2dsd.html

December 6th, 2017, 1:05 pm

Cogito wrote:Sonore has free ISO to DSD converter.

http://www.sonore.us/iso2dsd.html

Which is what I'm using, as described in the ripping SACD thread. At least from the Pioneer DVD player I'm using for the rips, it can rip straight from the player to the individual files, no intermediate step with an ISO file needed....

Roscoe

December 6th, 2017, 4:19 pm

Roscoe Primrose wrote:
DaveR wrote:I leave the rip as an iso file. Foobar can tag it and play it as either DSD or convert it to PCM on the fly. I know, it isn't possible in a plain old PC, but it does it.

I always extract the individual files since some of the player software I use (basically anything that is MPD based) can't deal with ISO files. Also, I don't know if the ISO files can be tagged with artist/song metadata, which the ripping software I use pulls from the original SACD automatically.

Roscoe

I'm curious, what's the advantage of using MPD over something like Foobar2000? I store the music on one machine and can play it from any machine in the house. What does MPD do for you that Foobar doesn't?

December 6th, 2017, 4:45 pm

DaveR wrote:I'm curious, what's the advantage of using MPD over something like Foobar2000? I store the music on one machine and can play it from any machine in the house. What does MPD do for you that Foobar doesn't?

No real advantage other than it runs on Linux, which is free, and even works fine one something as small/cheap as a Raspberry Pi. Some of us are cheap SOBs ;) Extracting to individual files rather than an ISO ensures the DSD music will still work regardless of which player I'm using that week.

Roscoe

December 6th, 2017, 5:12 pm

DaveR wrote:
Roscoe Primrose wrote:
DaveR wrote:I leave the rip as an iso file. Foobar can tag it and play it as either DSD or convert it to PCM on the fly. I know, it isn't possible in a plain old PC, but it does it.

I always extract the individual files since some of the player software I use (basically anything that is MPD based) can't deal with ISO files. Also, I don't know if the ISO files can be tagged with artist/song metadata, which the ripping software I use pulls from the original SACD automatically.

Roscoe

I'm curious, what's the advantage of using MPD over something like Foobar2000? I store the music on one machine and can play it from any machine in the house. What does MPD do for you that Foobar doesn't?

MPD is considered to be the best music player for computers. Features wise, it doesn’t have any.

I bought my MPD laptop to compare to your home when we did the DAC comparisons.

December 6th, 2017, 5:22 pm

What makes it better?

December 6th, 2017, 5:23 pm

Shashi
what do you mean by "MPD laptop"

December 6th, 2017, 5:40 pm

It has to be experienced.

Simply stated, MPD developers focused solely on music reproduction quality for years. It has bare minimum capability of keeping track of music library, but no capability to maintain the library and only rudimentary playlists, and absolutely no user interface.

You can issue command line arguments to play music or use MPD clients (separate piece of software) which also suck.

Think of it as vinyl, terribly inconvenient way of playing music but best sounding.

December 6th, 2017, 5:43 pm

Pelliott321 wrote:Shashi
what do you mean by "MPD laptop"

Laptop running AudioPhile Linux.

http://www.ap-linux.com/

December 6th, 2017, 6:54 pm

Ah, the old dead horse arisen from the grave...
Post a reply