Switch to full style
A place for discussion of general audio, music and related topics.
Post a reply

PCM vs DSD

October 31st, 2017, 8:51 pm

We had a few debates about the benefits of DSD in the recent weeks. Came across an interview with Ed Meitner on this subject. Very informative without going too deep into the technical details.

https://www.ap-linux.com/articles/dsd-jewels-concealed-behind-the-scarlet-book/

Re: PCM vs DSD

November 1st, 2017, 10:57 am

Cogito wrote:We had a few debates about the benefits of DSD in the recent weeks. Came across an interview with Ed Meitner on this subject. Very informative without going too deep into the technical details.

https://www.ap-linux.com/articles/dsd-jewels-concealed-behind-the-scarlet-book/

Be sure to sprinkle some salt on the dialog -- he is a manufacturer looking for exposure to sell his products.

November 1st, 2017, 2:41 pm

Be sure to sprinkle some salt on the dialog -- he is a manufacturer looking for exposure to sell his products.[/quote]

In general yes, but in this case, there is nothing in his interview that is questionable.

November 1st, 2017, 2:44 pm

Cogito wrote:Be sure to sprinkle some salt on the dialog -- he is a manufacturer looking for exposure to sell his products.

In general yes, but in this case, there is nothing in his interview that is questionable.[/quote]

And you know that how?

November 1st, 2017, 2:55 pm

SoundMods wrote:
Cogito wrote:Be sure to sprinkle some salt on the dialog -- he is a manufacturer looking for exposure to sell his products.

In general yes, but in this case, there is nothing in his interview that is questionable.

And you know that how?[/quote]

You want me to spend time googling... dont you?

November 1st, 2017, 4:01 pm

Ok here it is.

Sigma Delta Modulation is the best sampling method for ADC conversion of quality audio. DSD uses Sigma Delta Modulation sampling without any conversions.

I havent found any contradictions to Ed Meitner's statements. Did you?

adc_types.jpg

November 1st, 2017, 4:42 pm

Cogito wrote:
SoundMods wrote:

And you know that how?

You want me to spend time googling... dont you?[/quote]

No Shashi. But unless you have first-hand experience with the two formats you can't possibly make a positive statement about the merits of one over the other. :roll:

November 1st, 2017, 4:51 pm

SoundMods wrote:
No Shashi. But unless you have first-hand experience with the two formats you can't possibly make a positive statement about the merits of one over the other. :roll:

I am speaking from personal experience. A good DAC makes redbook sound better but nowhere close to DSD.

November 1st, 2017, 7:00 pm

Cogito wrote:
SoundMods wrote:

I am speaking from personal experience. A good DAC makes redbook sound better but nowhere close to DSD.

You volunteered to bring your DSD kit here for a shoot out -- are you game?

November 1st, 2017, 7:21 pm

Walt,
We will try to do on the weekend of 18th or after thanksgiving weekend.
Post a reply