DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Audiophile music???
PostPosted: August 8th, 2017, 11:32 pm 

Hey All,

I just did a youtube and internet search, and I found it very difficult to find a way to browse music that had track titles or artist names, not to mention having any way other than listening to a sample on my computer to determine if it was an audiophile friendly recording (which, by the way, I think I can do).

Anyway, I like music in almost every genre, but I'm very picky about what I like. I never really know what I'm going to like until I hear it, and I can almost never take recommendations from other people because of my strange but unique preferences.

I'm still stuck on CDs, and I don't know anything about streaming or computer digital audio, but ultimately I would like to be able to buy music I like on CD.

Is there a website where you can just go and browse music with samples? And, if there is, how do you make sense out of a large database, or establish some sort of audiophile preference to try to narrow down the categories to ones you might like? I used Barnes and Noble for a long time, because you can briefly sample music in every track of an album, but I could never make sense out of the large database.

Some sort of periodical, or blog might be helpful, but I don't want to read a whole magazine or pay a subscription, when I'm only looking for music ideas.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Audiophile music???
PostPosted: August 9th, 2017, 6:45 am 

My first stop is Amazon music for LP's that are still available. Many have sample bots to listen to
This works for record reviews Thai I read in the rags. I have been burnt too many times by buying blind just based on the review.
Older stuff YouTube and discog

PostPosted: August 9th, 2017, 7:45 am 

Not a website to browse in, but if you are serious, take a leisurely Saturday drive and visit in person.

Great selection, good prices, and he has a record player and CD player working on site, he'll be happy to preview an album for you.

http://ikosmusictrade.com/

Attachments:
IKO.jpg
IKO.jpg [ 227.91 KiB | Viewed 18952 times ]

PostPosted: August 9th, 2017, 7:49 am 

I just googled dts music and came up with this -

http://creamusic.net/classical/

Just play with google to find possible sources.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2017, 7:56 am 

I use iTunes store for sampling before I buy a CD or LP. They have the largest IMHO database of the music printed on CD. Some LPs were never printed though, in that case I just take my chances and buy them off eBay.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2017, 9:40 am 

There is a new streaming service for classical music called Primephonic. I've not tried it since I am still using Qobuz and that is working well for me except for a few hiccups every now and then.

Based on a few random searches I think Qobuz has a wider selection at this stage. However both services had this intriguing version of the Goldberg variations.

https://www.primephonic.com/album/15819

Since I subscribe to the Gramophone, I simply go though it and add interesting albums to a playlist for that month. It's a great way to discover new artists and composers as well as hear familiar works via established artists.

Since there appear to be quite a few members of this group who are expert in setting up music servers and computer audio, you might talk with them about getting help to try it out.

ray

PostPosted: August 9th, 2017, 10:13 am 

A location that is closer fro most of you guys is Jason McMillan's "The Archive Records 7 Games." He has recovered from the flood in a new venue that is at the top the hill rather than the bottom. Several of you donated LPs to the cause and David Berning donated some vintage electronics.

The Archive
4.712 Google reviews
Music store in Ellicott City, Maryland
Address: 8344 Main St, Ellicott City, MD 21043
Hours: Open today · 1–8PM

Phone: (410) 696-2931

PostPosted: August 9th, 2017, 3:38 pm 

Thanks Guys!

I'll look into those things.

Going to an actual record shop might be worth a go, especially if it's not busy and they are willing to let me hear some stuff!

Included in this post, I'm going to air a couple other observations too:

YouTube has a lot of music. A lot of people create really interesting compilation playlists, but unfortunately not that many of them include artist and track info. I guess they expect that your listening experience will be confined to their video, instead of being able to use it as a reference and go collect the individual recordings. Also, typing in the word "audiophile" as part of the search doesn't tend to yield very meaningful results. If anybody has any recommendations of these that are " Audiophile Like", and have info included, please let me know!

Another thing that really disappoints me is how hard it is to locate live recordings. I find live recorded music has the most interesting and diverse range of phenomenon coming through my speakers, that typically nowadays I make most of my critical speakerbuilding decisions exclusively with my live recordings. Other than my classical collection, I don't have that many good live albums however. If you ever go on Barnes and Noble for example ( it would probably be the same on Amazon, or itunes), and do a search with the word "Live" in it, you would be surprised to find that most of the generous amount of results are basically junk that just happen to have the word "Live" in the title NOT referring in any way to the manner in which the album was recorded. On the other hand, you can always type the words "In Concert" in your search, but sadly, not that many albums that are indeed live recordings bother to include the words "In Concert" as part of their titles, so that is a relatively un-inclusive search I have found! Does anybody know how to get around any of this?