DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: August meet
PostPosted: July 19th, 2017, 7:17 am 

HAL wrote:
I build fanless music server Windows 10 PC's running Foobar2000 from SSD's. If you would like one to use for the get together let me know. I have a demo unit.

That would be good.

As someone who started his IT career as Unix programmer I would love to use Daphile, but I find foobar2000 to be handling the streaming better.

Which skin and remote app are you using?

Post subject: Computer Audio
PostPosted: July 19th, 2017, 8:44 am 

Cogito wrote:
HAL wrote:
I build fanless music server Windows 10 PC's running Foobar2000 from SSD's. If you would like one to use for the get together let me know. I have a demo unit.

That would be good.

As someone who started his IT career as Unix programmer I would love to use Daphile, but I find foobar2000 to be handling the streaming better.

Which skin and remote app are you using?

I'm not using one of Rich's servers, but I do use Foobar2000. I use Windows Remote Desktop for control. Works great, less filling. You do need Professional or higher, can't use Home. At least not without a hack.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2017, 9:10 am 

Roscoe was kind enough to help me build a fanless PC based server. Originally I was using Windows 10 on the server but it was too much of a pain for just music serving. I installed Daphile and it is working very well. The server is hard wired to my home network. Photos of the server are included. I can bring it to the meeting if you would like.

The only thing needed to access the server and control the music is any network attached device with a browser. Everything else is handled by Daphle. I use a static IP address on the server. Most of my access is with a very inexpensive Windows 10 tablet that has been striped of everything except the browser. I also added the application that controls my DEQX digital preamp/DSP/crossover. My wife uses her PC and iphone to play music. The whole system works great and is the source of most of my playback now.

Tom

Attachments:
Complete unit front - Copysmall.jpg
Complete unit front - Copysmall.jpg [ 79.72 KiB | Viewed 25993 times ]
Chassis with mother board top - Copysmall.jpg
Chassis with mother board top - Copysmall.jpg [ 183.7 KiB | Viewed 25993 times ]
Chassis with HD top - Copysmall.jpg
Chassis with HD top - Copysmall.jpg [ 135.78 KiB | Viewed 25993 times ]

PostPosted: July 19th, 2017, 9:20 am 

I use the default Foobar2000 skin and the Vakata2 webpage style remote so you can use IE on a remote device for control.

DaveR and tomp are closer to you with their setups if they will work.

Here is my HAL MS-3 Music Server in my recording rig.

Attachments:
WP_20160613_025.jpg
WP_20160613_025.jpg [ 353.71 KiB | Viewed 25994 times ]

PostPosted: July 19th, 2017, 9:53 am 

I'm using Windows 7 Professional and have no problems. I have not used any programs other than Foobar2000 to play music so I can't speak to any comparisons. I will say that Foobar2000 is free, extremely customizable and can play anything. Remote Desktop is also free and there are clients for pretty much any device. I prefer using a device with a touch pad or mouse to a touch screen, but it's a personal preference, yours may be different.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2017, 11:47 am 

Tom,

Your PC is much more versatile than the pre-canned systems I see on Amazon. What CPU does it have? I presume memory can be upgraded.

I tried Daphile from a thumb drive. Loved the user interface but found couple of issues while playing music like, I get static in the background on some of the hirez FLACs downloaded from HDTracks.com which doesnt seem to happen with foobar2000. Sound stage information is compromised with Daphile's upsampling. With all the pain of configuration of foobar2000, I found it subjectively better than Daphile. We can do a comparison.

Yes, I would love if you can bring the PC. Is it WiFi or wired?

PostPosted: July 19th, 2017, 12:00 pm 

DaveR wrote:
I'm using Windows 7 Professional and have no problems. I have not used any programs other than Foobar2000 to play music so I can't speak to any comparisons. I will say that Foobar2000 is free, extremely customizable and can play anything. Remote Desktop is also free and there are clients for pretty much any device. I prefer using a device with a touch pad or mouse to a touch screen, but it's a personal preference, yours may be different.

I purchased MonkeyMote Remote App for Ipad for about $3. Its Ok, but not as pretty/friendly as Daphile UI. Would like to avoid RDP if possible. Simple Web or App interface will be ideal.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2017, 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

Jriver....

PostPosted: July 19th, 2017, 12:30 pm 

I use ubuntu 16.04 and Kodi 17. Kodi development has put a lot of work into improving the audio engine (Kodi also has Windows and OSX versions). My audio output is via hdmi to a Emotiva UMC-200 preamp. Note that the UMC-200 has a direct mode for the audio which disables all audio processing so it acts purely as a DAC but with analog volume and channel level trimming controls. If running ubuntu connect Kodi directly to the alsa port and not through pulse audio.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2017, 12:44 pm 

Cogito wrote:
DaveR wrote:

I purchased MonkeyMote Remote App for Ipad for about $3. Its Ok, but not as pretty/friendly as Daphile UI. Would like to avoid RDP if possible. Simple Web or App interface will be ideal.

i'm curious, why do you want to avoid RDP?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next