DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently April 28th, 2024, 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: August meet
PostPosted: July 20th, 2017, 3:24 pm 

ratbagp wrote:
If you can come up with $5 a month, you can stream from the quite large collection of British and some Aussie shows at acorn.tv

https://signup.acorn.tv/

Currently I'm laughing my way through the totally outrageous Rake series. No sub-titles however and the accents are definitely 'strine'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rake_(Australian_TV_series)

On a separate note, I am now listening to Christiane Karg - Parfum on Qobuz which is reputedly one of the better streaming services for classical music but not available in the US. I was in England recently and signed up for their free trial using Paypal which does not indicate which country you come from. I am still able to stream here now that I am back in the US. I only got the CD quality version but may do the upgrade later. Sound quality is fine, but I get occasional stuttering on my Comcast connection, but it might be my laptop that is the problem.

The classical music selection is wonderful and there are so many great recordings coming out these days.

ray

I used a free proxy service, my PayPal account and an extra gmail address to sign up for a Qobuz account from "Germany". Once the account is established you can purchase anything or stream without using the proxy. They have most stuff you can find on iTunes only in CD quality.

PostPosted: July 20th, 2017, 3:41 pm 

Cogito wrote:
Last night while doing research on the music players came across a neat little software called jPlay. It is developed by a polish and dutch guys. It got glorious review on the net including mainstream audiophile gigs like 6 Moons, Positive Feedback, TAS, Enjoy the Music, TNT etc. See the reviews at http://www.jplay.eu/reviews/

Core difference between jPlay and other computer music players (except may audiophile linux) is the "real-time" streaming. All sources and DACs process the data in real time so the timing of the bit stream is maintained. Computer CPUs are built for multi-tasking (task switching) and almost all OSs are multi-tasking also. When it is time for the music player to process the next group of bits, it might be swapped out of the CPU causing the delay in the bit stream. Add to that the multi-tasking OSs like Windows and Linux where several hundreds of processes are running and competing for resources, those delays could be substantial.

According to jPlay developers, their main focus is on "time perfect" streaming in addition to "bit perfect" streaming. To achieve this, jPlay takes over the computer stopping/hibernating all the processes and gives itself highest Priority. In "Hibertating" mode (recommended) even the mouse and keyboard are disabled. Computer looks as if it is struck, it will not respond to any thing until the jPlay finishes the playing. And it loads the entire music file into memory before starting to play to avoid any delays.

jPlay developers created plug-ins for jRiver, foobar, iTunes etc, ie jRiver etc are used as the front-end (UI) and jPlay takes over the entire back-end (music playing) operating. jRiver did to like it and issued a statement calling jPlay "Hoax" and recommended removing it completely. https://jriver.com/jplay.html . That convinced me to try jPlay :-)

Last night, installed jPlay trial version on my laptop. It comes with bare minimal user interface. It opens up a terminal window. To play music, select the files from windows explorers and copy. Go back to jPlay terminal window (Jplay Mini) and press space bar. JPlay takes a few seconds to load the files into memory and hibernates all other processes. You will see screen flicker and music starts playing.

I did a quick comparison of two songs between jPlay and foobar2000. I did not immediately notice the huge difference the reviews claimed but it felt like jPlay created deeper soundstage and it was little smoother.

Going to reinstall windows on my laptop and try out jPlay and Audiophile Linux (since both are trying to process the music in realtime) for the next couple of weeks.

Anyone using windows for music playing, give it a try and share your observations.

BTW, trial version of jPlay creates random gaps in the music. Full version is 99 Euros with lifetime support.

JPlay is good, a minimal memory player for Windows but expensive for what it is. Depends on whether you think their proprietary driver works well. It does offer choices of WASAPI, ASIO and kernel-streaming, with system tweaks.

If you want to mess around with free minimalist players you might try CPlay (cicsmemoryplayer.com) and wtfplay (http://wtfplay-project.org/). These are both pure memory players like JPlay. Going totally the other way, there's Bug Head and XXHighEnd. I find Bug Head maddening due to eternal wait times while it "rewrites" data or whatever it does, and there's a bewildering array of options. If you install it and just choose the basic settings you'll get an idea of how it sounds. XXHighEnd is actually really interesting and a very rich player. I've just spent about six months with it, but it needs a fairly strong CPU and memory. It looks daunting but actually isn't that hard to get started. Also, Peter is an interesting designer, with his Phasure DAC and computer, USB cables and other interesting gear he has developed. I'd like to hear it but don't know anyone who owns his stuff. Worth checking out: xxhighend.nl

PostPosted: July 20th, 2017, 3:52 pm 

And then there are 33-1/3 long play records manufactured with cutters that are good out to 40-kHz or better. :character-oldtimer:

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2017, 9:30 pm 

Audiophile Linux:

Using AP-Linux for the last couple of days. It uses MPD (Music Player Daemon) as the music player, sound quality is very very good. It plays all formats without any hitch. MPD is definitely at the top of my list now.

But AP-Linux's user interface sucks. The developer is working on it part time, it took him 2 years for a release. AP-Linux is light weight on purpose, but the choice of fluxbox as the window manager is a bad decision. Installation is completely manual, like in the 80s/90s Unix systems.

Snakeoil-os developer seems to be very active and involved. He is using ubuntu and stripping it down. It comes with MPD, Squeezebox like and another music server. It is a headless machine, perfect for audio rooms. Today I installed it but could not get it to work. Communicating with the developer.

If snakeoil-os sound quality is anywhere near Ap-Linux, it will be a winner.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 12:48 pm 

Cogito wrote:
Audiophile Linux:

Using AP-Linux for the last couple of days. It uses MPD (Music Player Daemon) as the music player, sound quality is very very good. It plays all formats without any hitch. MPD is definitely at the top of my list now.

But AP-Linux's user interface sucks. The developer is working on it part time, it took him 2 years for a release. AP-Linux is light weight on purpose, but the choice of fluxbox as the window manager is a bad decision. Installation is completely manual, like in the 80s/90s Unix systems.

Snakeoil-os developer seems to be very active and involved. He is using ubuntu and stripping it down. It comes with MPD, Squeezebox like and another music server. It is a headless machine, perfect for audio rooms. Today I installed it but could not get it to work. Communicating with the developer.

If snakeoil-os sound quality is anywhere near Ap-Linux, it will be a winner.

Do you mean you got it to install but couldn't connect with the web interface? What computer did you install it on? It might be a missing ethernet driver. I know the developer has been trying to cover all the bases but there are still some missing drivers. He's very helpful.

I was listening to Snakeoil-OS MPD this weekend on a little Celeron mini-PC. It sounds lovely, just simple and musical. I hope you get it working, I think you'll like it. As a bonus, you can now install JRiver Media Center and HQ Player, if you want to get fancy. :-)

PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 1:51 pm 

Grover,

Yes, I was able to install and activate it thru the web client. After the boot, web interface works for a few mins and stops working with the error about "REST" not communicating. On his website Agent Kith suggested someone else with a similar problem to change the privileges of snakeoil-rest script. After doing that the web interface stopped working completely. Now, he is asking me check the status of a port in 30k range which I shall do tonight. I am communicating with him on his forums.

Last night I did some research on both AP-Linux and Snakeoil-OS and found interesting facts. Both systems are going in opposite directions.

AP-Linux is laser focused on the sound quality. It plays little attention to user friendlyness. The sound quality of AP-Linux is extremely good. It Plays all formats and all resolutions in their native format.

Snakeoil OTOH win over a large audience by being user friendly and providing options like squeezebox lite etc. it provides about 5 different versions of MPD. Agent Kith explains that the sound of MPD changed after version and version 30 went back to the original sound. To get around the changing MPD, AP-Linux dumped the MPD that comes with arch distribution and he is compiling his own.

According to the configuration options, Snakeoil-os cannot play DSD native, it does DOP.

If I use android app MOLP (?), AP-Linux is easy to use. Just stay away from the keyboard and mouse.

Once I have a work around, I will try both for a few days before picking one, as of now I am going with AP-Linux.

Did you install AP-Linux, if not I would highly recommend trying it out.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 2:16 pm 

Sigh. ;) Okay, I'll try installing it. :shock:

PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 3:12 pm 

I'll wager my old Dell running Windows 7 and Foobar2000 sound as good as any other computer/server/OS/playback software. When you're ready for a blind comparison let me know.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 3:39 pm 

I have foobar2000 on win7 and I found jPlay on win7 is better than fb2000. Don't get me wrong, foobar2000 is s great piece of software and I like it s lot.

Comparison of different music streamers would be interesting.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 4:09 pm 

What is better about jPlay?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next