DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently April 28th, 2024, 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: August 1st, 2017, 12:11 pm 

I don't care about measurements as long as the technology is sound. I don't believe in flat freq response of the speakers either. I care about how they sound.

I have tested 4 different audio streamers and all 4 sound different. Your problem is, you haven't tried any quality streamer other than foobar2000, so you do not know what else is out there. Bring you foobar2000 and your fav music for the meet and I will show you the difference.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2017, 12:16 pm 

I will. However, all streamers should be installed on the same machine if you want to isolate any differences to the software. Or I can also bring my DAC which has a galvanic isolated USB input to eliminate any grounding or noise issues between the server and the DAC.

By the way, DSD has been playing for over an hour with no issues.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2017, 12:19 pm 

Grover Gardner wrote:
That's interesting. No, it's about a 5-inch square case, their earliest version, I think. I could possibly outboard it, with a separate power supply, or move it all to a new case. I'll look in to it, thanks!

I didn't keep up with those model changes, but I think the 5" square one is a newer version.

For building one of these small computers for audio, my experience did match that of the Computer Audiophile at that time, as I worked through different machines as it pertains to hardware. Small, low power machine that can run the motherboard and SOTM card separately, on battery or LPS. Small processor, and SS drive. As Roscoe pointed out, the Sonore renderers have small processors and can stream any audio file without issue.

The dedicated renderers are easier to implement for novices like me, have a lower noise floor, more dynamic range, are more reasonable in cost now, eliminate a computer on your network, and some are Roon endpoints for those interested in the experience. Oh, and they sound great, though probably not truly 3 dimensional like the best analogue or digital sources.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2017, 12:23 pm 

Good the DSD is playing fine. Did you try the same album as yesterday?

Why would the machine on which the streamer is running matter as long as all the machines have sufficient CPU power and memory?

PostPosted: August 1st, 2017, 12:26 pm 

Cogito wrote:
...I have tested 4 different audio streamers and all 4 sound different. Your problem is, you haven't tried any quality streamer other than foobar2000, so you do not know what else is out there. Bring you foobar2000 and your fav music for the meet and I will show you the difference.

If you're willing to load MinimServer on your NAS and BubbleUpnp on a tablet, I'll bring (or get to you if I can't make it) a Sonore renderer to compare at the meet.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2017, 12:50 pm 

Cogito wrote:
Good the DSD is playing fine. Did you try the same album as yesterday?

Why would the machine on which the streamer is running matter as long as all the machines have sufficient CPU power and memory?

Same album, played the whole thing. Then others non-stop.

Different power supplies and different hardware, all affect noise, both electrical and EMI. I strongly suspect if you are playing the same file using a bit perfect protocol on different machines and can reliably identify which is playing in a blind setup the difference is in the noise, literally.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2017, 12:51 pm 

Jim G wrote:
Cogito wrote:
...I have tested 4 different audio streamers and all 4 sound different. Your problem is, you haven't tried any quality streamer other than foobar2000, so you do not know what else is out there. Bring you foobar2000 and your fav music for the meet and I will show you the difference.

If you're willing to load MinimServer on your NAS and BubbleUpnp on a tablet, I'll bring (or get to you if I can't make it) a Sonore renderer to compare at the meet.

Does Sonore render or just fetch the data from the server and send it to the DAC?

PostPosted: August 1st, 2017, 1:27 pm 

DaveR wrote:
Does Sonore render or just fetch the data from the server and send it to the DAC?

I believe the Sonore (or any) renderer is converting Ethernet to USB. The NAS serves the music files to the renderer.
http://www.sonore.us/ultraRendu.html

PostPosted: August 1st, 2017, 1:32 pm 

DaveR wrote:
Different power supplies and different hardware, all affect noise, both electrical and EMI.

On the subject of computer hardware effecting the audio quality, please explain how different CPUs like i3 vs i5, power supplies to the motherboard, noise or ripples in the power supply on the motherboard effects digital audio when the USB DAC is not using the USB power?

Quote:
I strongly suspect if you are playing the same file using a bit perfect protocol on different machines and can reliably identify which is playing in a blind setup the difference is in the noise, literally.

I would leave the blind tests, DBTs, etc to JJ and Arny Krueger's of the audio community. At least JJ had an excuse to use DBT as a audio researcher, an attempt to reliably identify the differences, however flawed the DBX method of testing is.

Last edited by Cogito on August 1st, 2017, 1:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2017, 1:34 pm 

Jim G wrote:

Excellent. Let me do some research about how to load minimserver on QNAP NAS. My DAC has only USB interface, is there a way to use a windows PC as a uPNP device?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next