DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 10th, 2017, 2:24 pm 

This communication might be of interest to some of you. I have an Emotiva UMC-200 preamp and asked Emotiva a question about it operating simply as a multichannel DAC with the following response -

"""
JUN 06, 2017 | 02:44PM CDT
Keith Levkoff replied:
Alan,

Yes.

Specifically, if you set the UMC-200 to Direct mode it will play whatever you send to it without any processing.
If you then send it a multi-channel PCM signal, it will simply play that signal with each incoming channel mapped to an output channel.
(If you want to, you will still be able to use the channel level trims, which operate through the analog volume control.)
This is exactly the way it would work if you played a surround sound disc in an Oppo player and set the player to do the decoding and output multi-channel PCM.
Multi-channel PCM up to 7.1 works just fine via HDMI.

Bear in mind that all of the software on your PC will have to handle things properly.

Keith
"""
So that for my configuration of a three way stereo electronic dsp crossover I will be able to use the UMC-200 as a DAC with analog level controls in all the right places.

Now I need to decide which software to use. I would like to use Jriver, but for some digital tv channels (the ones with thick British accents) I need closed captions and Jriver does not currently do that.