DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently April 18th, 2024, 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Volti vs. Klipsch?
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2016, 11:02 pm 

Kind of an obscure question, but does anyone have experience with both Klipsch LaScalas and Volti Vittoras? In my desire to find a Klipschorn (or substitute), I have come across a gentleman who has the bass bins from a Volti Vittora. On paper they have the same low-end roll-off at 50Hz as do my LaScalas, so not sure that it is an improvement towards my goal of having horns w/out a subwoofer. So I would like to know if anyone can say "yes, the Volti's sound better to me because....."

As a side note, does anyone know of a good source for DIY/HiFi horn lenses for mids and HF? If I get the Volti's, I'll have to cobble something together. All I've found on the web is a bunch of PA stuff, and one dude from Germany.

V/R
James

Post subject: Re: Volti vs. Klipsch?
PostPosted: November 3rd, 2016, 4:10 am 

I have a pair of Edgar-style tractrix midrange horns with a JBL LE-5 cone driver and a Fostex horn tweeter that I made 10-12 years ago that I do not use. A crossover around 400 Hz should work fine with them. It would get you started while looking for something else.

David

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2016, 6:10 am 

I have only heard real kilpschorns once along time ago but know the Vittora's quite well since I have helped Greg set them up at a few shows. Like the Klipschorns the Vittora's do not plumb the depths very far but the Vittora's go much further into the cave. At the show when Greg has the space he always runs with one or two of his subs. They are barely on and do not call attention to themselves but do add a dimension that is missed without them.
At last summer's show Greg showed up with a new prototype speaker that will sell for around $9k depending on finish. This is a smaller speaker with horn loaded mid and tweeter with a ported 15 inch.
This speaker was quite impressive and he sold the prototype in 20 minutes.
Herb Reichert was on hand and thought they were great. Herb told me if he had the room in his apt he would own the Vittoria's. Greg's crossover do allow for some fine tuning of the highs. I been there when he voiced his speakers to the room.
The other player in the game is John Wolf of Classic Audio. His horns are very musical also. His Hartsfield's are magnificent

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2016, 6:53 am 

My two cents -- Volti vs Klipsch -- not a contest. The Volti is what Klipsch wished they did. Klipsch seemed to lower the quality of their speakers as time moved on -- drivers and crossovers were compromised in what I believe were cost savings to improve profitability. The Volti has a neutral voice whereas the La Scala has that "cupped hands" horn sound.

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2016, 12:28 pm 

A call to "Triode Pete" of Triode Wire Labs might be in order, Pete has a mix of Klipsch & Volti in his own system, he could answer some questions.

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2016, 1:24 pm 

Volti sounds better IMHO but you there is a large price differential from $25k+ for Volti to less than $10k for LaScala.

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2016, 2:10 pm 

SoundMods wrote:
....... The Volti has a neutral voice whereas the La Scala has that "cupped hands" horn sound.[/color]

I agree completely. I have a friend who had a pair of La Scalas for a couple months and couldn't get used to them. Even tried a Crites crossover replacement, and diaphragms. No appreciable improvement. The bass in his La Scalas was always tubby, imo. Only heard the Volti at Capfest, but there was no tubby bass there, and of course the top end was very good also. Is he using JBL woofers in that model? A lot of the older JBL woofers are no longer supported for recones.

There is a guy at Lansing Heritage making slant plate lenses for things like the 2405, 075, etc. He may do custom lenses too?
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/ ... ters/page2
If you're not a member already, you'll have to join to see that thread.