Switch to full style
A place for discussion of general audio, music and related topics.
Post a reply

Nice new vinyl.....

August 23rd, 2016, 7:22 pm

I picked up a couple LPs from one of my favorite bands, the Drive-By Truckers and all I can say is Wow!
Their five LP boxed set "It's great to be Alive" (live from the Fillmore) comes on pristine 180g vinyl, with 3 CDs, artwork, booklet at $29 from Sound Garden. Sounds great!

Their studio albums are all recorded on 2" analogue tape using tube gear.

Their album notes on the 2 LP set "Go Go Boots" states:

"live to 16-track, two-inch analogue and mixed down to 1/2 inch analogue with tubes a glowing and plates shimmering with reverberated bliss."

:D

Nice to hear rock that is well recorded. :music-listening:
Attachments
image.jpeg

Re: Nice new vinyl.....

August 23rd, 2016, 8:04 pm

Thanks for the recommendation. One of the best parts of being part of groups like this is hearing music you have never heard before. I have been now listening to some of their stuff on Youtube.

The most interesting thing I have heard of late is the 3rd movement of Beethoven's Moonlight sonata played by a young lady of 17 call Tina S. She does it on electric guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6rBK0BqL2w

Curiously, it sounds better on my crummy laptop speaker than on headphones. The 'tune' disappears beneath the backing when the sound is 'better'.

The playing is incredible but I wonder if she really understands the music. She pales compared to a Gieseking version I have and no doubt many of you have similar favorites.

But the best part is her smile at the end.

August 23rd, 2016, 8:11 pm

That was pretty amazing. Not sure I really liked it but she is definitely a very talanted youngster!

ratbagp wrote:Thanks for the recommendation. One of the best parts of being part of groups like this is hearing music you have never heard before. I have been now listening to some of their stuff on Youtube.

The most interesting thing I have heard of late is the 3rd movement of Beethoven's Moonlight sonata played by a young lady of 17 call Tina S. She does it on electric guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6rBK0BqL2w

Curiously, it sounds better on my crummy laptop speaker than on headphones. The 'tune' disappears beneath the backing when the sound is 'better'.

The playing is incredible but I wonder if she really understands the music. She pales compared to a Gieseking version I have and no doubt many of you have similar favorites.

But the best part is her smile at the end.

August 25th, 2016, 1:44 pm

Listened to this at Roscoe's meet up two weeks ago. Impressive sounding and for "audiophile" music, the content is not bad. Picked up a NM+ copy off ebay for 7.95.
Attachments
image.jpeg

August 25th, 2016, 1:56 pm

Thank Stuart, he's the one that brought it to CAF this year...

Roscoe

August 25th, 2016, 2:19 pm

Thanks Stu :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Post a reply