DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently April 25th, 2024, 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2016, 8:25 pm 

Thanks to everyone for the advice/comments. After running my Jupiters overnight fir several nights, they have setlled in very sligtly. The are more detailed and focused sounding than my Gudemans. I have noticed that I appear to be running my volume control setting a few clicks higher with the Jupiters. I think the Jupiters lack some of the tonal richness and a sense of 'effortlessness" that the Gudemans have. I may switch back to my Gudemans again but I'll live with the Jupiters for a month or so.

Steve Bench's writings can be seen here:

http://diyaudioprojects.com/mirror/members.aol.com/

Capacitor musing here:

http://diyaudioprojects.com/mirror/memb ... /caps.html

I think the D-E curves for most caps appear very similar (except for terrible ceramic). Steve thinks the paper in oils measure very well. I think some of his articles are very interesting (filiment starving triodes, inverted triodes etc).

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2016, 9:02 pm 

A Japanese rabid audiophile did a test of a boatload of caps. He chose .1-ufd at 600-wvdc and the caps were rolled into an Audionote system feeding horns with all the goodies. He commented that it was $250,000 system. The Jupiters didn't fair well at all compared to the competition. The best of the best were the Audionote Silve caps. Big$$$$ The best affordable caps were the Audio Consulting oil caps.

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2016, 9:24 pm 

You have a link?

I used this comparison which looked at dozens of caps. Jupiter came out highly here. I have geen happily using the cheaper Jupiter HT caps for many years, Maybe I should try them in my preamp (they are certainly cheaper).

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

SoundMods wrote:
A Japanese rabid audiophile did a test of a boatload of caps. He chose .1-ufd at 600-wvdc and the caps were rolled into an Audionote system feeding horns with all the goodies. He commented that it was $250,000 system. The Jupiters didn't fair well at all compared to the competition. The best of the best were the Audionote Silve caps. Big$$$$ The best affordable caps were the Audio Consulting oil caps.

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2016, 9:34 pm 

Audio Consulting caps are surplus Swiss made industrial stuff, painted blue and whatnot. I know this for certain because I have an effective intelligence network in that part of the world.

A thin veneer of pseudo-swank over gray industrial paint. Typical hogwash.

They are high quality caps, but I'd put a USSR KBG or C-D right next to it anyday.

Cap rolling sagas are good entertainment and give some rough guidelines, perhaps.

Which is better to a particular listener in a a certain system depends, and in any event, the results cannot not be extended beyond that specific, probably substantially bizarre, situation.

Audio Note/Jensen silvers are the best I ever heard by far. I talked to a Jensen guy a few years ago at a show and he claims they solved the silver migration problem that was causing early death of these stupid priced caps. Fingers of silver were growing out of the foil and piercing the paper dielectric!

PostPosted: January 24th, 2016, 9:14 am 

Here is an interesting link on metal whiskers. One of the reasons they put lead in solder is that it eliminates whiskers that form on tin.

https://www.insidescience.org/content/n ... rands/1642

Tom

PostPosted: January 24th, 2016, 10:54 am 

I gave up last night. Pulled the 1626 preamp out of my system and threw in my autoformer preamp in. Much better! More tone, equal detail, better bass, similar dynamics.

The thing is, my 1626 preamp with Gudemans is better sounding than my autoformer preamp.

So 1626 preamp with Gudeman oils>autoformer preamp>1626 preamp with Jupiters caps.

The funny thing is that I still think very highly of the cheaper Jupiter HT caps (their original high end cap) but the jupiter Copper cap washes out the tone, flow, the life of music. Boring!

PostPosted: January 25th, 2016, 1:18 pm 

The best caps I have found for a decent price are Mundorf Supremes (just plain Supremes). Sweet, smooth and detailed. Always musical.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2016, 1:35 pm 

Quote:
the jupiter Copper cap washes out the tone, flow, the life of music. Boring!

Look on the bright side...at least the Jupiter warehouse won't be an EPA superfund site in 20 years!

PostPosted: January 25th, 2016, 7:29 pm 

and reasonably affordable. May give them a shot.

Grover Gardner wrote:
The best caps I have found for a decent price are Mundorf Supremes (just plain Supremes). Sweet, smooth and detailed. Always musical.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2016, 7:30 pm 

Always doing my part!

J-ROB wrote:
Quote:
the jupiter Copper cap washes out the tone, flow, the life of music. Boring!

Look on the bright side...at least the Jupiter warehouse won't be an EPA superfund site in 20 years!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next