DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently April 24th, 2024, 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2016, 10:38 am 

WAYNE? Really Paul?!

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2016, 11:36 am 
Site Admin

Coffee first, posting second ;)

Roscoe

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2016, 12:00 pm 

For an interesting discussion of caps google "steve bench audio" and check out his paper about caps.

I have my own opinion about them but it's not worth going in to here. I've tried every cap I could get my hands on over the years and I like the old Gudemans and Vit Qs a lot but they don't have the low level detail of some of the new "audiophile" caps. In most applications probably won't make any difference and they certainly are cheaper. Bench has an interesting observation about the polycarbonates - the subtle curve in their output vs. the input would sound like a SE amp.

Charlie

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2016, 1:12 pm 

I like certain old parts precisely because they don't have more detail than actual music.

The kinds of speakers I use don't benefit from extra detail from caps, especially if it is achieved by HF prominence.

It depends on what floats your personal boat. 196P Vitamin Qs have a cool silvery whispery effect that comes across as both soft and appropriately detailed. I still swear by them. Love that flavor.

Many oil caps are a bit on the dark side which can work in some contexts, such as xovers for hot compression drivers.

As always, the final judgment must be made in situ, doing what they do where they will live.

I have and have tried many polycarb caps. Some are nice, some totally blow....just like any other category. the good thing about polycarbs is that many are super well made since the high temp capability was highly desired by the Mil.

Polycarbonate is now extinct since Bayer stopped making the film. Replaced by Polyphenylene sulfide which is reported to sound great. I read some forum jibber-jabber that EVOX SMR series metalized PPS sound good so I ordered some.

If the OP wants to try some .47/250V SMRs and give us a report, I can mail them out (and I'll include some other mil MKC .47s) The SMRs are 1/2" or 5/8" square box caps. Tiny. Just got them yesterday from England or Hungary or some such foreign land.

Pierre, Curl, and Stan Klyne didn't first discover that old mil parts work great. I just picked up some 50s homebrews from an old RCA engineer and there are Vit Qs in the electronics. What is new is the idea that some swank $100 new cap is necessary, especially given that these are typically made by mainline cap houses and rebranded with some New Agey logo. I'm sure I have $100 surplus caps but I paid $1, if that. Might go up to $3 if it is a special occasion or I have been drinking shine and hitting the bong.

I guess that counts out Dueland cast caps.

By far the best caps I ever heard were 1st gen Jensen silver foils, but they cost $1000 ea. and lasted a month before going leaky. They were awesome though.

The smart thing to do is direct couple!

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2016, 1:12 pm 

Bench? Got a link
Walt sorry senior moment, I sure you have called me lots of things lol

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2016, 1:17 pm 

SMR cap-- $1 a whack.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5x-Evox-Rifa-SM ... SwhcJWKKwn

The Kemet datasheet even says "excellent sound in audio applications"--odd for such an industrial supplier. They wouldn't lie, would they?

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2016, 1:48 pm 

Kemet is another excellent manufacturer as well as my all time favorite Electronic Concepts.

The issue of not all polycarbonates sounding good is so true. The Russian Teflon caps are especially nice, yet their polycarbonate and polystyrene caps suck.

Also -- don't overlook American Capacitor.

Paul is not the only Geezer in this hobby. :character-oldtimer:

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2016, 12:08 pm 

J-ROB wrote:
I'd pay $150 for a cap, but it would have to be delivered by a cute young woman naked except for a fur coat, carrying a bottle of single malt scotch. And I would still demand a 30 day return privilege.

But that's just how I roll...

Laphroaig? Mmmmm!

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2016, 1:33 pm 

You don't get it, Randy.

The scotch is for the poor girl...who will need a couple shots after she sees the weird old audio dude answering the door!

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2016, 1:50 pm 

J-ROB wrote:
You don't get it, Randy.

The scotch is for the poor girl...who will need a couple shots after she sees the weird old audio dude answering the door!

Har!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next