DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently April 20th, 2024, 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 20th, 2016, 4:49 pm 

So I just replaced some old output oil caps in my preamp with Jupiter copper foil caps (1.5uF). Not sure I am really digging the sound compared to my old oil caps. I have had great luck using the cheaper Jupiter HT caps in the past so I figured the pricey copper Jupiter would be even better?

Copper Jupiter caps compared to my old oil caps

Pro:
better focus
slightly more detail
increased height and depth of sound stage

Cons:
less bass
less dynamic
less tone

Are these things going to break-in over time? On a side note, the caps came beautifully packaged in foam filled boxes but one cap had what looked like drop damage (edge of case broken off and some of the epoxy end cap splintered/broken on that edge. Probably not enough to compromise the cap but at $150 per cap I am not impressed with Parts Connection QC.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2016, 12:54 pm 

So far a little bit of change. The overall sound seems to flow a bit better and bass is starting to show up. Nothing really dramatic but better. In absolute terms, the Jupiter copper caps are probably better than my old oil caps but in some ways I prefer my oil caps. I should have more time to evaluate them if we get this blizzard and I do not lose power.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2016, 2:48 pm 

If your plate voltage is below 200-wvdc I found nirvana with V-Cap OIMP caps paralleled with mil-surplus hermetic Teflon caps.

Here is the link for the Teflons:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matched-Pair-Cu ... SwDwtUpbsf

The V-Caps can be bought direct -- here is that link:

http://www.v-cap.com/

Attachments:
SFD-2 Mk.II Output Stage.jpg
SFD-2 Mk.II Output Stage.jpg [ 264.33 KiB | Viewed 27611 times ]
V-Cap OIMP.jpg
V-Cap OIMP.jpg [ 15.88 KiB | Viewed 27611 times ]

PostPosted: January 21st, 2016, 3:02 pm 

Thanks for the info. Plate voltage is a bit over 300v as I recall. I also run a pretty large cap to get -3db drop down to 1.5Hz in an attempt to keep phase changes below 20Hz.

I wonder about the Audyn True Copper Cap? It seems well liked and is pretty cheap to boot.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2016, 3:12 pm 

Dont be vague, ask for SPRAGUE!

What were your old oil caps?

PostPosted: January 21st, 2016, 3:17 pm 

I understand that many fancy caps need break-in time to reach optimal state (maybe cheap ones, too, but it's harder to tell?) This is one reason people buy burn-in generators like the Hagerman FryBaby (http://hagerman-audio-labs.myshopify.com/collections/break-in-devices) - they generate stuff like pink noise that you play through your gear (into dummy loads) so after 48 hours or more the parts have reached a steady state and their best sound.

NOTE: I'm not recommending Hagerman - I have no experience with that company; it's the first one I found with burn-in devices.

Of course, if you don't play your gear for a month, the parts may lose this steady state and you'd have to do it again.

Someone experienced in this area should jump on the thread soon.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2016, 3:24 pm 

The amplifier itself is a burn-in device.

Or you could just plug em into the wall for high volt break in.

In my experience, a cap might open up and clarify a bit with time but not change character radically.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2016, 3:42 pm 

Nothing special rectangular metal can 600V oils. I have tried 3-4 similar old oils and did not like them sound much so maybe I just stumbled on a really good sounding pair. I'll have to se what the brand was when I get home.

J-ROB wrote:
Dont be vague, ask for SPRAGUE!

What were your old oil caps?

PostPosted: January 21st, 2016, 3:43 pm 

I have been running music through my preamp with volume turned all the way up overnight (amps are off).

Guy wrote:
I understand that many fancy caps need break-in time to reach optimal state (maybe cheap ones, too, but it's harder to tell?) This is one reason people buy burn-in generators like the Hagerman FryBaby (http://hagerman-audio-labs.myshopify.com/collections/break-in-devices) - they generate stuff like pink noise that you play through your gear (into dummy loads) so after 48 hours or more the parts have reached a steady state and their best sound.

NOTE: I'm not recommending Hagerman - I have no experience with that company; it's the first one I found with burn-in devices.

Of course, if you don't play your gear for a month, the parts may lose this steady state and you'd have to do it again.

Someone experienced in this area should jump on the thread soon.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2016, 3:47 pm 

That'll work or tune in interstation radio noise if you want to emulate the Hagerman doodad.

What were the original oil caps that you are seeking to upgrade?