DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 4th, 2016, 3:08 pm 

Pinch rollers need cleaning and lubricating. Does anyone here recommend someone who works on reel to reel machines that is local?

PostPosted: January 4th, 2016, 3:27 pm 

I wish I had an answer for you. When I was doing recording as an extension to the hobby I had to rely on my own devices to maintain the equipment including repairing a favorite microphone.

Mineral spirits (aka. Varsol, Varnaline, etc.) and a clean lintless cloth like a cotton hankerchief, and you can clean the rubber parts with ease. You can clean the heads the same way.

Lubrication should be done with a modern silicone lubricant as silicone lubricants do not get gummy over time.
:handgestures-thumbupleft:

PostPosted: January 4th, 2016, 3:53 pm 

Thanks. I think that will be my first step, I'll see if a light general cleaning/lubing is sufficient.

SoundMods wrote:
I wish I had an answer for you. When I was doing recording as an extension to the hobby I had to rely on my own devices to maintain the equipment including repairing a favorite microphone.

Mineral spirits (aka. Varsol, Varnaline, etc.) and a clean lintless cloth like a cotton hankerchief, and you can clean the rubber parts with ease. You can clean the heads the same way.

Lubrication should be done with a modern silicone lubricant as silicone lubricants do not get gummy over time.
:handgestures-thumbupleft:

PostPosted: January 4th, 2016, 4:21 pm 

Long ago I used rubbing alcohol to clean my pinch roller and capstan - lubrication is an unknown to me.

PostPosted: January 4th, 2016, 6:41 pm 

Rubbing alcohol is not recommended for pinch rollers and any rubber devices requiring traction. Rubbing alcohol is a solution of denatured alcohol, water, and lanolin. The lanolin being the oily part of the solution. Also, alcohol may be too strong a solvent for rubber-based parts. Mineral spirits takes care of oil and general cleaning without attacking the rubber parts. Not all rubber parts are made the same way and you need to be careful.

PostPosted: January 4th, 2016, 7:25 pm 
Site Admin

SoundMods wrote:
Rubbing alcohol is not recommended for pinch rollers and any rubber devices requiring traction. Rubbing alcohol is a solution of denatured alcohol, water, and lanolin. The lanolin being the oily part of the solution. Also, alcohol may be too strong a solvent for rubber-based parts. Mineral spirits takes care of oil and general cleaning without attacking the rubber parts. Not all rubber parts are made the same way and you need to be careful.

Yeah, what he said.... Fine for capstans & heads, but not the rubber bits....

Roscoe

PostPosted: January 4th, 2016, 8:30 pm 

Pinch rollers are rubber. The capstan is a rotating spindle used to move recording tape through the mechanism of a tape recorder. The tape is threaded between the capstan and one or more rubber-covered wheels, called pinch rollers, which press against the capstan, thus providing friction necessary for the capstan to pull the tape.

Just saying.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2016, 9:54 am 

You see, I can still learn from you people! :)

PostPosted: January 5th, 2016, 10:29 am 

Hi Guy! I just checked where you are located. I am north of Baltimore in Parkville. I can help you out for the price of one lunch. :obscene-drinkingcheers:

PostPosted: January 5th, 2016, 12:34 pm 

The best cleaner I've found for tape heads is lacquer thinner (recommended by my tape tech), but keep it away from anything plastic. I use light synthetic oil (Anderol 465) for lubrication, but only where specified in the manuals. As for pinch rollers, I remove them from the tape decks and soak 'em in soap and water (Dawn) followed by enough rinses to get rid of the residue, followed by drying them out for a day or so. For hard cases, "Rubber Renue" can help keep pinch rollers supple but use it outdoors if you don't plan on asphyxiating yourself.

Dave P.