DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently April 20th, 2024, 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brown Tubes?????
PostPosted: September 5th, 2015, 9:50 pm 

Hey, can anyone tell me why my brand new output tubes have brown burn like marks developing on the inside of the glass?

I just bought them about a month or two ago and now they look sort of ugly.

Could I make an adjustment to the Bais that would prevent this from happening? It's set a 500mv where the manufacturer claims the amp performs the best.

Any thoughts?

Chris

Post subject: Re: Brown Tubes?????
PostPosted: September 6th, 2015, 6:35 am 

this probably normal but I sure some else will chime in
What tube type are they
Also When I get new output tubes I start off with a low bias setting 250ma for a couple of hours then 300ma, 350 and so on
It interesting that I found out that the manufacturers suggestion does not necessarily sound best on my system
Om my kt88 450ma to 500ma is often suggested and some say push to 600ma for better sound. of course the higher the bias setting the shorter the tube life. A good and very knowledgeable friend suggested a much lower bias and now my midrange is just right
Every system is different and one has to try different settings and listen carefully

PostPosted: September 6th, 2015, 10:50 am 

Don't you guys mean 50 ma per tube as opposed to 500 ma? I think the worst case for KT-88s is 60 ma cathode current. My experience with KT-88s found that they sound better with a cathode current of about 38 ma. As Paul Elliott pointed out, the sound falls in place with a nice musical open mid-range. And over stressing tubes, any tubes, shortens their expected useful life.

PostPosted: September 6th, 2015, 11:22 am 

SoundMods wrote:
Don't you guys mean 50 ma per tube as opposed to 500 ma? I think the worst case for KT-88s is 60 ma cathode current. My experience with KT-88s found that they sound better with a cathode current of about 38 ma. As Paul Elliott pointed out, the sound falls in place with a nice musical open mid-range. And over stressing tubes, any tubes, shortens their expected useful life.

Note carefully, he said 500 mv, or 0.5 v across I assume a current measuring resistor of 10 ohms to give 50 ma of current. It make more sense to talk about it in current, as that is the TUBE current draw, NOT the voltage drop across the resistor which we really don't know the value of. At any rate, if it is blackening up so quickly, something doesn't seem right, check with your tube seller and/or figure out what is going in the circuit because it sounds like you may be over-drawing the current and thus the plate dissipation of the tubes...

PostPosted: September 6th, 2015, 11:53 am 

He noted ma not mv. But yes, the voltage drop across say 10-ohms at 500-mv would equate to 50-ma cathode current. To add food for thought, even the 300B has its sweet spot. Pundits talk about 70-ma yet at 70-ma the sound takes on a dark quality. Dial the 300B down to 50-ma and all is good. Same with EL-34s. They have their sweet spot and it is not 50-ma. When it comes to static current, less is more up to a point. Or would that be down to a point? You take the KT-88s further down below 38-ma and the sound takes on a edgy quality -- go past up to 50 or even 60-ma and things get dark. Of course if your system overall has a sharp edgy quality then the higher bias makes for an interesting "band-aid." Better to go after the "witches" than run the power tubes until they "scream." One final thought -- only with amps. having fixed bias by applying a negative grid voltage -- if you can measure cathode current another way -- say with a plug-in meter -- you can gain a lot in terms of dynamics with grounded cathodes.

PostPosted: September 6th, 2015, 12:13 pm 

So just to refresh my memory, or confirm what I have heard: Lowering the Bais extends the tube life, and puts more of the signal into a class A weighting, but decreases some of the power or gain? It also makes the tubes run a little bit cooler?

PostPosted: September 6th, 2015, 12:18 pm 

my mistake you are right The indicator on my amps show 500 which is 500mv or 50 ma. I always forget this

PostPosted: September 6th, 2015, 1:32 pm 

Push-pull amplifiers are class A/B because neither tube in a push-pull pair is conducting signal constantly. The bias provides a starting point so a tube does not go into full cutoff which would be Class B with the resultant crossover distortion. Even class A/B amps. have a certain amount of crossover distortion that can be minimized by matching resistors and caps tightly all the way back to the phase inverter.

PostPosted: September 6th, 2015, 2:39 pm 

chris1973 wrote:
So just to refresh my memory, or confirm what I have heard: Lowering the Bais extends the tube life, and puts more of the signal into a class A weighting, but decreases some of the power or gain? It also makes the tubes run a little bit cooler?

I believe you have that backwards, the lower the cathode-to-grid voltage difference, the more positive (less negative) the grid is and therefore will cause the tube to conduct harder, increasing the current thru the tube and thus the plate dissipation. Some will say this gives the tubes a "hotter" sound, but as always, it depends on the circuitry, parts, etc. Help me out of I am incorrect on this...

PostPosted: September 6th, 2015, 3:31 pm 

Have you been listening to James Brown? Or Jackson Brown? Or Brownsville Station. Chuck Brown? Maxine Brown? Charles Brown?

I have only seen that brown residue develop in Russian tubes, never in any US or Euro tube.

I think it must be from impurities inside the envelope. I'll ask my bud jc who was chief engineer at Sovtek what he thinks.