DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently April 26th, 2024, 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 19th, 2015, 3:36 pm 

The electronics company Jameco recently did a survey of a large number of electronics hobbyists. They have the results of that survey on their site and it is very interesting with some surprises in the form of outlook for DIY in the future. Here is a link:

http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/workshop/r ... l?CID=blog

Tom

PostPosted: August 20th, 2015, 1:44 am 

I loved the phrase:
59% report they’ve created something that only they could love.

About 20 years ago I decided to find out what was going on inside all the stuff I was listening to so I subscribed to Speaker Builder, AA and GA and subsequently EA. The internet really helped as well. I found building and planning stuff was a great way to take my mind off work problems. It is such a great hobby and I love being able to create monstrosities.

I would have liked to have come to the meet this Saturday but I am in France doing a house exchange. I will be at CAF next Saturday to man the front desk.

ray

PostPosted: August 20th, 2015, 7:53 am 

Looking at the average age, I see that what I already "knew" is true: We are a dying breed.

PostPosted: August 20th, 2015, 8:15 am 

When I was a kid I relied on Rat Shack, looked what happened to them!
I am a little lucky here in Baltimore I have Bayneville electronic just a few miles away for last minute bits and pieces.

PostPosted: August 20th, 2015, 8:36 am 

Pelliott321 wrote:
I am a little lucky here in Baltimore I have Bayneville electronic just a few miles away for last minute bits and pieces.

R/S never held a candle to Lafayette Radio Electronics!!!! As a kid, I LIVED there! Bought as much as a paper route could buy! When I think of all the neat gear, that I didn't even realize was SOOOO neat at the time........oh how I wish that clock could run backwards!

This only scratches the surface. Reminds me that once, guys like us were not so rare.

http://www.ohio.edu/people/postr/bapix/LafArt_60_3.htm

PostPosted: August 20th, 2015, 8:49 am 

Pelliott321 wrote:

Nowdays I get most of my stuff from ebay, Digikey, Newark, Jameco, or MCM through the web.

PostPosted: August 20th, 2015, 9:11 am 

I done with posting here
I post comments to add to the conversation not post to criticize someone else's comments

PostPosted: August 20th, 2015, 9:50 am 

Pelliott321 wrote:
I done with posting here
I post comments to add to the conversation not post to criticize someone else's comments

I don't think your opinion was flamed; I took the comment to be a excited comparison between two sources.

The problem with text is that we can't show if we're angry, excited, sarcastic (me), happy, etc. I've taken to using a lot of Emoticons to try not to express unintended things. :dance:

PostPosted: August 20th, 2015, 10:07 am 

Guy wrote:
Pelliott321 wrote:
I done with posting here

I don't think your opinion was flamed; I took the comment to be a excited comparison between two sources.

The problem with text is that we can't show if we're angry, excited, sarcastic (me), happy, etc. I've taken to using a lot of Emoticons to try not to express unintended things. :dance:

Guy:

You are rght. My comments were to highlight that no single source can supply all that we need nowdays. It is getting harder to find the right stuff every day. Unfortunately, DIYers are not a big enough factor to steer the market so we have to hunt around in both the new and used markets to find what we need and increqasingly the new stuff is coming from China.

Tom

PostPosted: August 20th, 2015, 10:51 am 

Pelliott321 wrote:

If only Kannellert (ck.sp) was still around. They had a massive store on Television Hill next store to WJZ-TV and sold anything and everything electronic. From resistors to water-cooled transmitter tubes. If the electronic part existed you could find it there. OH WELL. The good old days.

Walt