DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently May 10th, 2024, 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: July 16th, 2015, 4:34 pm 

Take a look at the Celestion dual driver subwoofer from the 1980's. Small, pseudo-open baffle...

https://www.google.com/search?q=celestion+sl+6000+subwoofer&espv=2&biw=1531&bih=853&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CCQQsARqFQoTCM3bmZ6_4MYCFQElHgod4ZsGww#

On another note, something like this could be done so much better by someone with your woodworking skills

chris1973 wrote:
This may be in the realm of fantasy, but I would like to eliminate the cabinets, or abbreviate them in some way because they are the bulk of the labor. Especially the finishing process, which I do because speakers need to have a finish, but I don't particularly enjoy. I don't want to resort to 15" woofers and 30" wide baffles to get open baffle bass however, and it would be really cool if I could figure out how to do it with only one or two drivers. :confusion-confused:

chris

PostPosted: July 16th, 2015, 4:45 pm 

Where's the "Like" button.... LOL

Stuart Polansky wrote:
I know what you're thinking, "That Stuart is a F#@$ing Genius"!!!

I know, I get that all the time.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2015, 4:56 pm 

Stuart Polansky wrote:
I know what you're thinking, "That Stuart is a F#@$ing Genius"!!!

I know, I get that all the time.

It's a good Idea!

I might have to try my hand at it!

How thick is the Delrin you use for cases?

Plastic is relatively difficult stuff to work with.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2015, 4:57 pm 

Stuart,
I apologize if you were offended by my banana comment. I appreciate fine workmanship of which I am quite incapable.

However I sometimes have built amps in unusual containers and my first thought on seeing your photos was 'how could I build something' with a banana shape. I have been pondering the idea ever since.

ray

PostPosted: July 16th, 2015, 5:05 pm 

FerdinandII wrote:
Take a look at the Celestion dual driver subwoofer from the 1980's. Small, pseudo-open baffle...

https://www.google.com/search?q=celestion+sl+6000+subwoofer&espv=2&biw=1531&bih=853&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CCQQsARqFQoTCM3bmZ6_4MYCFQElHgod4ZsGww#

On another note, something like this could be done so much better by someone with your woodworking skills

chris1973 wrote:
This may be in the realm of fantasy, but I would like to eliminate the cabinets, or abbreviate them in some way because they are the bulk of the labor. Especially the finishing process, which I do because speakers need to have a finish, but I don't particularly enjoy. I don't want to resort to 15" woofers and 30" wide baffles to get open baffle bass however, and it would be really cool if I could figure out how to do it with only one or two drivers. :confusion-confused:

chris

Those are cool! I would do something a little more concise.

I guess the real issue is that I have spent almost all my time learning how to build speakers, and very little time trying to figure out how to sell speakers, which, in the HiFi industry as a whole, seems to be a little more important. There is clearly lots of stuff out there that hobbyists like us can do better, but most people still prefer to buy from a manufacturer because there is a name and a reputation.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2015, 5:07 pm 

ratbagp wrote:
Stuart,
I apologize if you were offended by my banana comment. I appreciate fine workmanship of which I am quite incapable.

However I sometimes have built amps in unusual containers and my first thought on seeing your photos was 'how could I build something' with a banana shape. I have been pondering the idea ever since.

ray

A speaker banana shaped would be good too!

PostPosted: July 16th, 2015, 5:14 pm 

So many GREAT speakers have gone by the wayside over the years. Some would be nearly impossible to copy, like the Nestorovics. IF you can build one cheaply (affordable for YOU), so you can make a profit at it, try the CAF, that's why it exists.

Another option is selling through another vendor, either retail, or on-line.

Fancy webpages help. That way, the purchaser has no idea that you are working on your dining room table, eating Cheetos in your underwear while building his masterpiece.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2015, 5:19 pm 

See Chris, I have long ago figured out that I have none of the skills you do. Can't learn them, riding the short bus of woodworking. As soon as I get my design figured out, you'll have a job to do!

Trying to replace my beloved Maggies.

Then I have to find someone who has a huge house, lives alone and likes giant, inefficient speakers to buy them.

I have a really small market. :(

Pass the word!

PostPosted: July 16th, 2015, 5:20 pm 

ratbagp wrote:
Stuart,

ray

No offense at all!! Trying to be funny!!!

PostPosted: July 16th, 2015, 5:23 pm 

I was laughing in the background, trying to remember the last time you were offended by bad humor....... LOL

Stuart Polansky wrote:
ratbagp wrote:
Stuart,

ray

No offense at all!! Trying to be funny!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next