DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: July 16th, 2015, 5:27 pm 

chris1973 wrote:
Stuart Polansky wrote:
I know what you're thinking, "That Stuart is a F#@$ing Genius"!!!

I know, I get that all the time.

It's a good Idea!

I might have to try my hand at it!

How thick is the Delrin you use for cases?

Plastic is relatively difficult stuff to work with.

Chris, I'm not good enough to build those enclosures. I just use a slab, whatever I can get on eBay cheap, 1/2" to 2". I have a HUGE chunk of 2" right now. I think it's 4' square, for future projects.

Charlie has an awesome Passive line stage machined out of a solid chunk of Delrin, probably 4"-5" thick! We have listened to the identical P&G pots in three different enclosures, the Delrin one, one of Bubinga wood ( by David McGown) and one Guy Riffle made, I forget the material, chocolate maybe? But the one in Delrin was head and shoulders above the other two, which are both EXCELLENT.

My phono stage uses a 1" thick slab on the bottom of a cheap metal enclosure. I KNOW a better enclosure will improve the sound overall.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2015, 5:29 pm 

FerdinandII wrote:
I was laughing in the background, trying to remember the last time you were offended by bad humor....... LOL

Stuart Polansky wrote:
ratbagp wrote:
Stuart,
I apologize if you were offended by my banana comment. I appreciate fine workmanship of which I am quite incapable.

However I sometimes have built amps in unusual containers and my first thought on seeing your photos was 'how could I build something' with a banana shape. I have been pondering the idea ever since.

ray

No offense at all!! Trying to be funny!!!

You've got a point there FerdinandII; I was just about to break out my "Greatest Hits of Andrew Dice Clay" and enjoy a lot of bad humor!

Okay, I wasn't really, but I could have been!

PostPosted: July 16th, 2015, 5:38 pm 

I'm sure that Neil Young's original version of the Pono player was a banana.
Hence the absurd yellow color on the production version.
It wouldn't be too hard to replicate that idea, with a 3-D printer.....

ratbagp wrote:
Stuart,
I apologize if you were offended by my banana comment. I appreciate fine workmanship of which I am quite incapable.

However I sometimes have built amps in unusual containers and my first thought on seeing your photos was 'how could I build something' with a banana shape. I have been pondering the idea ever since.

ray

PostPosted: July 16th, 2015, 5:45 pm 

The banana speaker works for me. I have been pondering how to try using transducers like these which sound much better than you would expect.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-daex32q-8-dual-steel-spring-balanced-32mm-exciter-40w-8-ohm--295-268

ray

PostPosted: July 16th, 2015, 5:59 pm 

ratbagp wrote:
The banana speaker works for me. I have been pondering how to try using transducers like these which sound much better than you would expect.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-daex32q-8-dual-steel-spring-balanced-32mm-exciter-40w-8-ohm--295-268

ray

I was thinking about those!

I was wondering if I could excite a relatively thick piece of steel sheet metal, and lots of other stuff!
Part of the magic of my steel stands with marble bases is that they produce a lot of the cool sounds that the speakers only participate in. The stands however require the specific sound of the High Density Phenolic cabinets to really make them sound right. It would be really cool however, if I could eliminate the speakers, and excite the stands directly!

I wonder if an exciter could do that???

The sound of the stands is primarily bass and low midrange, but they also contribute to the High frequencies, in a way I don't completely understand, too.

The exciters are not that expensive. Should I buy some?

Chris

PostPosted: July 16th, 2015, 6:47 pm 

This article at Parts Express goes into more detail about using them.

http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/buy ... citers.pdf

They went very well with the same Goldwood 18" 1858 speakers that Roscoe uses in a similar JE Labs open baffle. The crossover is a PLLXO with bi-amping.

ray

PostPosted: July 16th, 2015, 7:28 pm 

ratbagp wrote:
This article at Parts Express goes into more detail about using them.

http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/buy ... citers.pdf

They went very well with the same Goldwood 18" 1858 speakers that Roscoe uses in a similar JE Labs open baffle. The crossover is a PLLXO with bi-amping.

ray

Yeah, I read it just a couple minutes ago.

so they are mounted on the backs of those pink panels?

What are the panels made of?

PostPosted: July 16th, 2015, 7:38 pm 

Stuart Polansky wrote:
chris1973 wrote:
Stuart Polansky wrote:
I know what you're thinking, "That Stuart is a F#@$ing Genius"!!!

I know, I get that all the time.

It's a good Idea!

I might have to try my hand at it!

How thick is the Delrin you use for cases?

Plastic is relatively difficult stuff to work with.

Chris, I'm not good enough to build those enclosures. I just use a slab, whatever I can get on eBay cheap, 1/2" to 2". I have a HUGE chunk of 2" right now. I think it's 4' square, for future projects.

Charlie has an awesome Passive line stage machined out of a solid chunk of Delrin, probably 4"-5" thick! We have listened to the identical P&G pots in three different enclosures, the Delrin one, one of Bubinga wood ( by David McGown) and one Guy Riffle made, I forget the material, chocolate maybe? But the one in Delrin was head and shoulders above the other two, which are both EXCELLENT.

My phono stage uses a 1" thick slab on the bottom of a cheap metal enclosure. I KNOW a better enclosure will improve the sound overall.

So are you cutting the stuff yourself? And just drilling holes in it?

I tried to work some PVC with my router and I didn't like it. The Phenolic was a little better, but it took 16 passes to cut through 1-1/2" baffle, and it destroyed my bit in no time. The shavings eventually caught on fire because the bit was so dull, and I had to soak down the lawn when I was done so I didn't start a brushfire! That was one of the easier parts of building this last speaker!

PostPosted: July 16th, 2015, 7:48 pm 

I believe the foam is
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Project-Panels-2-ft-x-2-ft-Project-Panel-PP1/203553730

or something similar.

I'm thinking of getting a 2x4 piece and carving out a banana shape and painting it yellow. Apparently the transducer should be placed asymmetrically which should not be difficult with a banana shape. I presume having the banana vertical will be better than horizontal.

Perhaps this belongs in a separate thread (for the insane).

ray

PostPosted: July 16th, 2015, 7:57 pm 

ratbagp wrote:
I believe the foam is
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Project-Panels-2-ft-x-2-ft-Project-Panel-PP1/203553730

or something similar.

I'm thinking of getting a 2x4 piece and carving out a banana shape and painting it yellow. Apparently the transducer should be placed asymmetrically which should not be difficult with a banana shape. I presume having the banana vertical will be better than horizontal.

Perhaps this belongs in a separate thread (for the insane).

ray

Probably vertical, but are the banana's going to arc toward each other or away from each other?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next