DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently April 26th, 2024, 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 28th, 2015, 10:22 am 

??? So I cannot use the Monarchy DIP AES/EBU output with an S/PDIF input? I have to use a balun?

PostPosted: January 28th, 2015, 11:05 am 

You can but the results will not be as good. I just checked on ebay and Canare baluns are listed for less than $8. Doing it the other way may cost you more when you figure in the parts and connectors and result in inferior performance. See the listing below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canare-BCJ-XP-T ... 35e45963e3

PostPosted: January 28th, 2015, 11:20 am 

tomp wrote:
You can but the results will not be as good. I just checked on ebay and Canare baluns are listed for less than $8. Doing it the other way may cost you more when you figure in the parts and connectors and result in inferior performance.

What, internally, is the deficit in the Monarchy DIP? You are saying that the reclocking and internal conversion from S/PDIF to AES/EBU with an XLR connector is deficient and better replaced with an in-line transformer? Are you familiar with the Monarchy?

The "other way" involves the DIP, which I already own, so its $150 or so price tag is not an issue. What other parts are there? I need an XLR-XLR interconnect in either case.

Confused in Brentwood.................

PostPosted: January 28th, 2015, 12:15 pm 

Sorry Stuart. I misunderstood. I didn't realize you were going to do the conversion internally. I thought you were going to connect a SPDIF output from one device to the AES/EBU input of another. In that case, a balun is the best way to go. If you are going to do the conversion internally in the first unit and feed the signal out via a matching protocol to the second you only need the appropriate interconnect cable to complete the job.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2015, 1:22 pm 

Thanks Tom!

PostPosted: January 28th, 2015, 6:53 pm 

Stuart,

I have made several AES/EBU cables with some 110 ohm Belden Twinax (Plenum and non-plenum versions) Like - http://www.belden.com/techdatas/english/89207.pdf and Neutrik XLRs
Very happy with the results...and you are welcome to try them.

Also, the DIP is a very good way to do the conversion to AES/EBU. I also have the Meridian 518 available, which gives you 24 bit digital volume control... :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Stuart Polansky wrote:
The "other way" involves the DIP, which I already own, so its $150 or so price tag is not an issue. What other parts are there? I need an XLR-XLR interconnect in either case.

Confused in Brentwood.................

PostPosted: January 28th, 2015, 9:09 pm 

You may also wantr to try Belden 1800F. It is specifically made for AES/EBU transmission. In addition it is flexible and has a french braid shield which is a joy to work with. The cover is a matt finish which also looks very good. I have a roll if you would like to try some.

http://www.belden.com/techdatas/metric/1800F.pdf

PostPosted: January 30th, 2015, 5:39 pm 

tomp wrote:
You may also wantr to try Belden 1800F. It is specifically made for AES/EBU transmission. In addition it is flexible and has a french braid shield which is a joy to work with. The cover is a matt finish which also looks very good. I have a roll if you would like to try some.

http://www.belden.com/techdatas/metric/1800F.pdf

Yes, please! I would like to try some!

I assume that, cable wise, it is best to keep the DIP (clock) as close to the USB/S/PDIF interface as possible, maximizing the run of balanced cable? In other words, short unbalanced runs and long balanced runs.

Stuart

PostPosted: January 30th, 2015, 6:24 pm 

Yup, balanced is the way to go for longer runs.......
Do you still have Linus at the "other end" of the room?

Stuart Polansky wrote:
Yes, please! I would like to try some!

I assume that, cable wise, it is best to keep the DIP (clock) as close to the USB/S/PDIF interface as possible, maximizing the run of balanced cable? In other words, short unbalanced runs and long balanced runs.

Stuart

PostPosted: January 30th, 2015, 6:40 pm 

Linus?

Not sure to what you refer.

However, I am thinking of putting the server atop the rack. Do you think that will be an issue? The monitor would be alongside the turntable. I know, blasphemy. I'm concerned about noise, though.