DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game changer
PostPosted: December 21st, 2014, 12:51 pm 

I have been listening to Tidal (streaming music, full CD quality 1440 bps) and I have to say it sounds very good. Significantly better than 320 mp3 from Spotify (which I enjoy due to the variety even if the sound quality is merely acceptable).

With Tidal, I have instant access to 25+ million CD quality songs.

I still see putting on vinyl as a special treat with ultimate sound quality but Tidal really will shake things up for audiophiles IMHO.

Post subject: Re: Game changer
PostPosted: December 21st, 2014, 6:22 pm 

I was wondering how well this was going to work. Thanks for the first impressions!

PostPosted: December 21st, 2014, 7:53 pm 

I've been following this at Computer Audiophile.

In the model of Netflix and others, you can't search for music till you join. I'll need to take a vacation to figure out how it sounds and if they have enough music I want to hear in the 7 day trial period. :D I have no problem with the cost, if they have the titles.

How fast is your internet speed? Have you experienced dropouts?

PostPosted: December 21st, 2014, 8:46 pm 

My internet is slow, 4G Clear. I occasionally have a drop out and it takes a little bit to load up but nothing to bad. I am actually surprised it works this well on my connection. No drop outs all day today for the last 8 hours.

You can also listen 320 mp3 or 192 mp3. I figure if I have drop outs during peak hours then I can fall back on 320 mp3.

Interestingly enough, I think Tidal 320 mp3 sounds better than Spotify 320 mp3. I also found this with MOG before they changed into Beats (at which point I bailed).

I have put in some pretty obscure stuff and they seem to have it. The limitation I have noticed is the depth of the discography for individual artists. They have an obscure artist but might only have 1-2 of 5 albums. Not 100% sure about this but that is my impression formed over the last 2 days.

PostPosted: December 21st, 2014, 9:25 pm 

Was one of beta testers for this program, and was super excited to be able to stream hifi audio levels. Tried it out for a couple of weeks, and even with FIOS, service, I found it to be incredibly buggy, constantly skipping and stuttering. Worked with their tech support and they said they were trying to work it out. Like others have mentioned there were some tunes I was shocked they had, but many tracks I thought for sure they would have but no dice. Decided it was a bit to buggy for me and cancelled.

Glad to hear they have worked out the kinks. It is a promising idea. May have to give it a second shot