DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 1st, 2014, 4:27 pm 

when the tree is out this weekend, I will be looking to get the proper setup for my Vienna Acoustics Beethoven's. I haven't really done a proper setup other than to make sure the listening set up is a triangle, which has worked well for soundstage, but the bass has really been lacking. From what I read, the proper setup is to do what is called the Sumiko (or Iron Chef) master set, and that seems to have a lot of positive reviews from those who have used the master set, anyone else tried this, or have a better suggestion? thanks

PostPosted: January 1st, 2014, 4:40 pm 

You mean this method?

http://www.myspeakersetup.com/master-set-process.html

Interesting....

PostPosted: January 1st, 2014, 5:42 pm 

yes, that is the one. I cannot use the "long" wall, but I read elsewhere this same method can be used on the short wall as well. I also cannot start with the speakers right up against the wall, I have a fireplace ledge that extends about 20" from the wall, so I will have to start from that point...

PostPosted: January 1st, 2014, 9:00 pm 

Generally the position that works the best for the mid and high frequencies creates problems for the bass and vice versa. I have always tries to separate the bass from the main speakers by using subs for two reasons. First you do not have to sacrifice the mid and high performance to get satrisfactory bass. Second, by unloading the bass/mid driver of the main speakers you drastically reduce the IM distortion of the output the reason for which is dominated by excessive cone excursion caused by heavy bass signals.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2014, 4:35 pm 

speaker setup always works better if you can move your seating position too. As tomp stated, what works best for midrange/highs (speakers further out in the room) may not work for best for bass.

I usually setup speakers for midrange and highs, compromise somewhat on bass and then move listener seating position to enhance bass. Final adjustments are to lock in midrang and up imaging with toe/rake.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2014, 5:32 pm 

yes, I went at this yesterday, boy am I sick of "runaway horse"! I really couldn't notice much difference in the bass response as I moved the speaker about, that was f'ed up! I have suspected that the seating position may also be at fault, but I would think at least the positioning of the speakers would make some difference, and once that was found, then move the seat to form the triangle and be somewhat good to go... I guess I'll have to have another toss at it later...